Author Topic: seeking contact with the relatives of RAF Sgt Fred Anthony(Tony) HATTON  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
seeking contact with the relatives of RAF Sgt Fred Anthony(Tony) HATTON
« on: Saturday 07 December 13 15:37 GMT (UK) »
I seeking contact with the relatives of RAF Sgt Fred Anthony(Tony) HATTON who was the Navigator of a 58 Squadron Whitley bomber coded N1462, GE-V. On the 18th June 1941 his aircraft was on the return leg for a raid on Cologne when they inetercepted by a German nightfighter and shotdown near the Dutch village BEST. 20 year old Sgt Fred Anthony HATTON was killed at the crash together with four other crewmembers and rest at Eindhoven General Cemetery(The Netherlands). Tony HATTON was the son of Harold Bernard and Reneé Mary HATTON, of Manningham,Bradford,Yorkshire.
Bomber Command research during WW2 in the South Eastern part of The Netherlands. Especially aircraft crash research and locating their crews.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: seeking contact with the relatives of RAF Sgt Fred Anthony(Tony) HATTON
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 December 13 17:24 GMT (UK) »
You could try contacting the local paper (the Telegraph And Argus) to see if they could publicise your  search:

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/

Good hunting
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 December 13 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sorry - but as explained by the moderator in an earlier post - Rootschat does not allow details of possible living persons to be posted here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=670288.0;topicseen

You may find the following helpful in tracing relatives

www.freebmd.org.uk

Use the above site to look for his birth which will give his mothers maiden name

Again using freebmd - search for Hatton births with that mothers maiden name which will tell you if he had any siblings and when they were born

If you decide to contact the newspaper as suggested above - you will then have some additional info to help in any search for living relatives

Good luck in your search

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 December 13 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Philip and CaroleW,

I am fully aware that Rootschat.com can not used for tracking down living people but I would like to know where to start with some background info, and also newspapers are not always helpfull to publish an appeal to tracking down people that's why I start with Rootschat.com to get in touch with those who can help me to some further info on a certain family I am looking for.  I find not much info in CWWC wargrave registers so I was looking for a "Roots"forum of enthousiastic people who can help me out. I will try the option to contact a local newspaper anyway.

Thank you very much,
Adrian 
Bomber Command research during WW2 in the South Eastern part of The Netherlands. Especially aircraft crash research and locating their crews.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 December 13 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Frederick A Hatton was born 1921 Bradford Yorkshire mother's maiden name Garbutt

Harold B Hatton married Renee M Garbutt 1920 Bradford Yorkshire

There was only one other son born to this couple in 1924 - Ian Garbutt Hatton. Unfortunately according to a detailed tree on Ancestry which also has a photo, he died on the 18th February 1946 on the HMS Defatigable.

Harold Hatton died in 1971 and Renee in 1974, so there may be no relatives left.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 December 13 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philip, CaroleW,

Thanks very much Philip for the link to a local newspaper but wrote to them(telegraphandargus) in June 2010 and they publish my appeal on the 15th. Sadly without any luck that's why I tried it again on Rootschat.com.  I have received some months later a letter from someone who know Tony when he was a boy. He told that Tony have a younger Brother Ian and went to Bradford Grammar school together.

Regards,
Adrian

Offline Ad van Zantvoort

• No PM
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 December 13 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Groom,

Thank you very,very much for the information on Tony Hattons family. From a letter I recieved some months later as my appeal was published I can confirm that Tony have a Brother Ian. Ian and my source went to Bradford Grammar school and left in 1941.  He said that a couple lived at Ferndale Grove in Bradford named DRAPER and lost a son during WW2 at my source knowledge as aircrew personnel. Mrs Hatton and Mrs Draper were sisters he said. Maybe you can put a light on this??

Regards,
Adrian

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 December 13 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I cant see any marriages between a Garbutt and a Draper.

According to the censuses, Renee's parents were Thomas and Emma Garbutt. It looks as if they had several sons and 3 daughters:

Gertrude Suggitt Garbutt born 1877
Renee Mary Garbutt born 1889
Dorothy Isabel Garbut born 1891

Gertrude died unmarried on 2nd March 1935 in Bradford
Dorothy Isabel married Alfred Robinson on the 22nd April 1916.

I suppose it is possible that Alfred was killed in WW1 and Dorothy went on to marry a Draper, but I cant see that marriage.

There are no births of a Draper with a mother's maiden name Garbutt coming up either.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 December 13 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is useful but Bradford Grammar most certainly will have a memorial to those former pupils who died in WW1+2. Also the school will have an official historian/archivist who might help.