Author Topic: George Green Clifton Bedfordshire  (Read 10973 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Green Clifton Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Must have missed that post. My other thought was that they had gone to the workhouse first and died there, but the list of ages and places of death eliminates that. I've just checked through B'wade workhouse inmates, but all are listed by full names (not initials only as I have seen on some censuses) and no George and Ann Green.
I have had two cases recently where a couple have disappeared between 1841 and 1851 censuses, with the children living with relatives - in one case split between paternal grandparents and maternal aunt. In one case the parents were drowned when a boat capsized and deaths registered in the district nearest to where the boat sank, I had only been looking in the areas where they lived and where they had family connected to so took a long time to track them down. The other couple were transported for life for burning farmer's ricks in the early 1840's, so no record of death in UK registers. There were newspaper reports of both cases.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 14:58 GMT (UK) »
I'd also checked the Bedford Gaol site at http://apps.bedfordshire.gov.uk/grd/ but drew a blank
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 15:21 GMT (UK) »
There's a William Green born Clifton age 16 in 1851 living with Claydon family over the border in Gamlingay listed as servant.  Piece: 1758, Folio: 29, Page: 22. Looks like one of the missing children from 1841. So now to find John Green who would be abt 18 in 1851. The extra child Samuel born abt 1842 at least tells us that George and Ann were around until at least then.     
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 15:32 GMT (UK) »
After Gamlingay William moved down to London, where he married twice in Islington, in 1859 and 1872. On both occasions he named his father as George Green, farmer. No mention of deceased on either occasion. - which doesn't mean he was necessarily still living

Samuel was baptised on 18 Jul 1841 so George could have died from 6 Jun 1841, census day, onwards and Ann a few weeks later after the birth. But there are no such burials in Clifton, nor a remarriage of Ann. They just seem to disappear.

There are trees on Ancestry with this family but none show what happened to the children other than William. Most seem to have Ann Kitchener wrong. Why I never trust online trees. Good for ideas only!

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 16:00 GMT (UK) »
The first son John, born 1833, per the 1841, a baker, married Frances Sole (of Clifton per subsequent censuses)  in Poplar in 1862. His father was named as George Green, farmer (again not deceased) and one of the witnesses was Sarah Ann Green

Sarah Ann Green father George Green farmer (again not deceased) married in 1866 in Dalston, Hackney to William Kitchiner father William Kitchiner baker. Witnesses John and Frances Green. What odds they were related?

Samuel Green, baker, father George Green, farmer married Mary Ann Whitworth on 18 Jun 1865 at Clerkenwell. In 1871 aged 30 born Beds the family was living in Bethnal Green. It looks to be the right Samuel.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 16:49 GMT (UK) »
So they all went to London. And Rhoda Lewinton married John William Morris. Reg Q1 1849 Islington district. 1851 census confirms she was born in Clifton and they are living at 7 Upper Ann street, Lambeth.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 18:02 GMT (UK) »
Another thought. It seems curious that John and Frances Sole, both from Clifton should marry in London and Sarah and (presumably cousin) William Kitchener from Arlesley should also go to London. All Saints Clifton is a lovely church and I'm sure Arlesley's is just as good.
Could the missing parents have gone to London and changed their names for some reason?

Offline pastline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi and thank you for your help.
George and Ann had 4 children - John, William, Sarah and Samuel. It is through William that I am related to them.
I have done a lot of research on the Green family in Bedfordshire and London. But still haven’t answered where George and Ann disappeared.
I sent for the 1847 death certificate for George Green but it turned out  to be  the wrong one.
Well, I will keep on trying. 
Many thanks.
Peter.

Offline pastline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 December 13 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Although I have no definite evidence, I think that George Green was born in Meppershall to John and Sarah Green of Woodhall Grange Farm. A bit unusual for John  Green to marry Sarah Green. I am not sure if they were related? They were married  in 1789 and were farming at Woodhall Farm from 1788 to 1820. John had three brothers - William, Warner  and Thomas. There were three Warners in the family -
Warner Green b. 1774  - already mentioned above
Warner Green  b. 1807 - the son of John and Sarah Green of Woodhall Farm
Warner Green  b. 1809 - the son of Thomas Green and Sarah Green ( Porter) of Stanford Mill.
It is the second Warner ( b. 1807 at Woodhall)  that is a puzzle as I can find no records of him on the census and only a possible death record in St. Lukes 1847.