Author Topic: Thomas Smith & Ann Graham  (Read 2080 times)

Offline Cousin Cath

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Smith & Ann Graham
« on: Thursday 12 December 13 13:16 GMT (UK) »
The OPR for my ancestor Margaret Smith reads:"10 Jun 1781 Thomas Smith tenant in Libertown and Ann Graham his spouse had a daughter baptized named Maregaret". (Libertown is now known as Libberton ).

It appears that Thomas Smith was born 10 Nov 1747 in Libberton, Lanarkshire, Scotland to James Smith and Margaret Scott who married 30 Apr 1742 in Dunsyre, Lanarkshire. The family moved to Carnwath when Thomas was two.

It may be that Ann Graham's parents were Ann Harvie and William Grham or Grhame married in 1734 in Carnwath, Lanarkshire. Anna (who married Thomas Smith) was their fifth child born 20 Mar 1744. Their seventh child was James Graeme (1749-1772) a minor poet whose profile appears on wikipedia where his father is described as a farmer of the middling class. In another profile, William Graham is described as a poor farmer.

But I can't find the marriage of Thomas Smith and Ann Graham or whether they had children in other parishes. Knowing the names of all their children may provide me with important clues as to the names of their ancestors.

I have identified three children for Thomas Smith and Ann Graham - Ann in 1779; Margaret in 1781 and Janet in 1784. All three were born in Libberton. Ann Graham would have been 35 at the time of her daughter Ann's birth. This makes me suspect either that they had other children in another parish or that this was a second marriage.

So my questions are:

When and where did Thomas Smith marry Ann Graham?
Did Thomas Smith and Ann Graham have any other children?
Is anyone working on a family tree of the Grahams of Carnwath or have information on them?
Is anyone working on a family of Harvie or Harvy or Harvay of Carnwath?
What size of farm would William Graham been farming in the 1740's? Would it have been large enough that he would have employed labourers outside his family? ("Small cultivators needed no regular labour but that of their wives and children. The middling class employed besides some farm servants drawn from the families of the cottagers and little farmers.")

Does anyone have more information on James Smith and Margaret Scott who married 30 Apr 1742 and had John (b 1743) and Elizabeth (b 17444) in Walston; Thomas 1747 and James 1748 in Libberton; Marion 1751, Elizabeth 1752, David 1757 and James 1760 in Carnwath?

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Smith & Ann Graham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 December 13 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Did Margaret Smith die after 1855 to confirm her parents names?

Offline Cousin Cath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 December 13 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Smith died before 1831. She had eight children. The second son was named Thomas(b 1806) and the first daughter(b. 1808) was named Ann. This naming sequence strongly suggests that her parents were named Thomas and Ann.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 December 13 23:52 GMT (UK) »
They may not have followed the naming tradition and there could be another Thomas and Ann not showing in the records. You really need to confirm her parents before going back further.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 December 13 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Have you disproved Thomas Smith and Margaret Girdwood as being the parents of your Thomas?