Author Topic: JOHN CORDIAL transportation to Darlinghurst 1854  (Read 4548 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN CORDIAL transportation to Darlinghurst 1854
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 December 13 23:27 GMT (UK) »
 ;D  ;D  ;D

Can I type SNAP .... Yep, we are all on the same track  :)

Add ... the court reporter simply could not read his own shorthand and so the cutting says CORDIER whereas the court records show CORDIAL  ;D

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 December 13 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry - should have done a new post - edited my earlier one to add:

JM's find from TROVE would explain why he went directly to gaol.

Would a cook/steward gaol prisoner be marrying only 5 years later as a 'clerk from London'?  Possible  :-\

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 December 13 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Seems he may have got around a bit or, there are a few John CORDIAL's. One in WA, one in Queensland, one in NSW and is he the same one that went to NZ. ???

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 December 13 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes, (he could become a clerk from London) afterall he could read and write and one of those shipping records has him as English, while the other has him as Scottish.  I read he was an incompetent cook  :) .  Matchless was not transporting convicts, in fact it seems to have been a Schooner !   

Compulsory secular education in NSW does not get underway until Henry Parkes 1880, so it is entirely possible he became a competent clerk  ;D.   Those in NSW in the 1860s were mostly new arrivals suffering from gold fever.   

The population of NSW in 1846 was 154,534  (so after convictism ceased and before Victoria was hived off from NSW)
The population of NSW in 1856 was 266, 189 (so after Victoria was hived off, and after the gold rushes had commenced).

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=660501.0

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 December 13 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all your contributions.
Maybe I have maligned the man.
Doesn't seem possible that he was on the Matchless from California. He is certainly the same guy mentioned in the garrison town in Wales in the 1841 census with his mother, father ( listed elsewhere in the census with the Rifles brigade at the barracks ) and his siblings.
Many thanks
Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 December 13 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Guess the guy from the Matchless was a John CORDIER which was mis- transcribed as CORDIAL.
He did travel onto New Zealand and had a very chequered history there!!!
Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 December 13 06:51 GMT (UK) »
I am not so sure that you can discount the John CORDIAL on the Matchless.  In 1841 he was, as we know, with his parents in Wales.  Obviously, as he was born in Ireland, he would be familiar with sea travel.  Aberystwyth, (44 miles away from Newtown),is mentioned thus by Wikipedia:

The port of Aberystwyth, although it is small and relatively inconsequential today, used to be an important Atlantic Ocean entryway. It was used to ship locally, to Ireland and even as a Transatlantic departure point. Commercially, the once important Cardiganshire lead mines shipped out of this locations also.

Seems possible that he went to sea, and crewed on the Matchless.  Where were his parents by 1851?  As he would have been 25 by then it would be surprising if he was still with them.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 December 13 08:04 GMT (UK) »

Hi Judith,
Thanks for your thoughts. I suppose it is possible. The next piece of evidence after the 1841 census is that his parents and some of the family have returned to Ireland and where he was born in Galway.
I next pick them up on the Griffith valuation tables in Clare Galway ( 8 miles from Galway city ) in1855.
Regards
Brian

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile