Author Topic: Peckhams of Parley and Wimborne  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Ainecollier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peckhams of Parley and Wimborne
« on: Sunday 15 December 13 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I was surprised to find my maternal great grandfather, William Harman, from Charlwood, Surrey, living with my great aunt Mary Jane Harman in the 1911 census, living in Wimborne Minster. Mary Jane was born in Surrey, as was my grandmother, and married Ernest Peckham from East Parley. The census shows they had four children William, John, Ethel and Edley. I cannot, beyond this record, find anything about the Peckhams and was hoping to find out anything more about them, where the children ended up, etc. Any leads would be greatly appreciated! I now live in Dorset and was very surprised to find this connection so 'close to home.' thanks all!       Aine'

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Peckhams of Parley and Wimborne
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 December 13 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have you checked marriage/death  records on FreeBMD?

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Were the boys mentioned of an age to have served, and possibly died in WW1?

Could the family have emigrated?

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 December 13 14:43 GMT (UK) »
The only one of the four children that I can find is Ethel, however you would need to send for her birth certificate to check if she was actually Ethel Maud Peckham. If she was then she married and had five children all in Dorset. As these children may still be alive I will send you a pm.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 December 13 22:48 GMT (UK) »
She was Ethel Maud (b Dec 1901); and Edley was actually William Hedley Peckham (b Mar 1904) who married in 1932. His daughter and two granddaughters can be found using freebmd.org.

In the 1901 census (RG13/1976), by when Ernest and Sarah Jane were already married (Dec 1880), William and John are listed as stepsons with the surname Harman. It seems slightly odd to name the next boy William, who then had to be known as (h)edley.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline spiderboy

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Dorset Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 December 13 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aine
A complex family I suspect! It appears that your Ernest was probably the Ernest Headley (Hedley) PECKHAM born at Sway, Hampshire in 1880 and not Parley, Dorset in 1872/3. (If I am right you will find his birth in the GRO Index 1880 December Quarter. Lymington District. Volume: 2b. Page: 628.) The birth at Sway would appear to be confirmed by the 1901 census entry at Wimborne for Ernest and Mary J, see RG13. Piece: 1976. Folio: 80. Page: 40. Schedule: 265. From this entry it seems likely that Mary Jane had two base born sons, William H HARMAN born circa 1898 Christchurch District and John H HARMAN born circa 1899 Wimborne District. I would suggest that in the 1911 census William aged 11 is the William H HARMAN aged 2 in the 1901 entry. A birth registration that ties in with Ethel aged 8 is in the index as Ethel Maud PECKHAM 1901 December Quarter Wimborne District. Volume: 5a. Page: 235. I suggest that the “Edley” in 1911 is probably William Hedley PECKHAM with a birth registration 1904 March Quarter. Wimborne District. Volume: 5a. Page: 240. I have been unable to locate a suitable birth registration in Wimborne or Christchurch districts for the John shown in 1911 and wonder if he was the John H HARMAN shown in 1901 with the wrong age attributed. If you subscribe to Ancestry you will find that Ernest Headley PECKHAM had 2 stints in the British Army during the First World War and some of his papers can be found amongst the Army Pension records (Dorsetshire Regiment 1914) and the Service Records (Royal Artillery Garrison 1917). On both occasions Ernest made his mark and did not sign his name. Amongst the Service Records only the 2 youngest children were mentioned as was the address 11 Cornmarket, Wimborne insinuating that the family moved to the centre of the town after 1917.  :)
I’m Researching:
CON: Chegwyn, Trayer.
DEV: Bickle, Chegwyn, Gaskin, Hill, Metter, Perry.
DOR: Butcher, Herridge, King, Pain, Palmer, Passmore.
GLS: Martin, Nelmes, Woodward, Young.
SOM: Major, Nation, Sims.
L&SWRailway: Damen, Young.
Wife Researching:
DOR: Burt, Gent, Watts.
STS: Bailey.
SAL: Dawes.
SCT: Raith, Smith, Edwardson. Mollison. Wilson. (MLN & SLI)

Offline Ainecollier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 December 13 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all, what fantastic information I have no doubt I'd not have found on my own! It is always such a journey to find out about our families and sometimes, their possible skeletons!   ;)
I will follow the leads you have provided and try to answer some of the questions the odd birth dates and names have brought up. Aine'

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 December 13 14:02 GMT (UK) »
I live in the Lymington area and there are quite a few Peckhams' around  :)

Kim

Offline spiderboy

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Dorset Cross
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Correcting an error and a little more information for you.
I should have said that Ernest Headley (Hedley) and Mary Jane moved to 11 Cornmarket before 1917.
The baptism of a William Harold son of Mary Jane (entered in the Register as HERMAN but possibly HARMAN) took place at St James’ Church, Holt, Near Wimborne 9th October 1898. The address of Mary Jane was shown as “Bournemouth” and the father’s details were omitted.
According to the 1957 Probate of Ernest Hedley Peckham, William Hedley Peckham was a Post Office Clerk.
I do have some more notes but as they contain details of possibly living people I will contact you via a PM later.
I’m Researching:
CON: Chegwyn, Trayer.
DEV: Bickle, Chegwyn, Gaskin, Hill, Metter, Perry.
DOR: Butcher, Herridge, King, Pain, Palmer, Passmore.
GLS: Martin, Nelmes, Woodward, Young.
SOM: Major, Nation, Sims.
L&SWRailway: Damen, Young.
Wife Researching:
DOR: Burt, Gent, Watts.
STS: Bailey.
SAL: Dawes.
SCT: Raith, Smith, Edwardson. Mollison. Wilson. (MLN & SLI)