Author Topic: Stephen Barnes, Youghal  (Read 4995 times)

Offline jobob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stephen Barnes, Youghal
« on: Saturday 21 December 13 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi hoping someone may be able to help locate STEPHEN BARNES, and his family, he was born between 1793 - 1810 i suspect, he was the brother of my 4x great grandmother, found newspaper articles in south australia (from his sister)concerning him being in the Irish coastguard services, and i know of 2 of his children, MARY JANE BARNES BORN C 1833 CORK, IRELAND as she died from consumption on way to South Australia december 1854 aged 21 years with her brother RICHARD BARNES, RICHARD married in 1862 and there was a report in the Australian papers which said english papers copy, it said Richard Barnes 4th son of Stephen Barnes, late officer in HM Coast guard services,youghal, Cork, Ireland....from articles i gather he had 3 daughters and 4 sons at least..... cannot find anything on them???? My 4x g grandmother was bp in Cornwall as was a siter and 2 brothers...their father was also Stephen Junior Barnes and mother Margaret Tonkin..thanks :)
Dundee, Scotland: Duffus, Henderson, Saunders, Fenton
Liverpool:Pinnington, Stringfellow, Kenyon,Saunders, Molyneux,Taylor,Atwood,Crowther
Northampton:Burbidge,Werrington,Shivers
South Australia: Bobridge, Byrne, Taylor, Sims,Good, Duffus, Moyle,Pinnington,Biddle,Pepper,Stretch
Cornwall: Barnes, Moyle, Johns, Rapson, Vellenoweth,Glasson,Good,Corno,Richards,Hoskin,Gribble,

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Barnes, Youghal
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 December 13 12:19 GMT (UK) »
dont know if this is related found it by googling.

John Barnes
promoted to Chief Officer 9/3/1864
Date of Navy list appointment June 1870 Polpero Cornwall.

Richard Barnes
Date of Navy list appointment
June 1870 Chief Officer,Coast Guard Cruiser(Fanny 28 Oct 67)Tender to Pallas,Kingstown.
June 1879 Coast Guard Service late of cruizers 1st Jan 75 Strangford.

Offline jobob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 December 13 12:51 GMT (UK) »
I dont know about either of them???  as the only son of Stephen Barnes i know the name of is Richard Barnes but he died in South Australia in 1864, BUT...Stephen Barnes had a brother RICHARD Barnes whom i also have found nothing on except baptism in Cornwall....And there is every possibility JOHN BARNES could be related to him as well??....Stephens father was a pilot, from his sisters marriage cert, so presume he was also in the coast guard or navy ..thankyou for looking :)
Liverpool:Pinnington, Stringfellow, Kenyon,Saunders, Molyneux,Taylor,Atwood,Crowther
South Australia: Bobridge, Byrne, Taylor, Sims,Good, Duffus, Moyle,Pinnington,Biddle,Pepper,Stretch
Cornwall: Barnes, Moyle, Johns, Rapson, Vellenoweth,Glasson,Good,Corno,Richards,Hoskin,Gribble,

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 December 13 18:30 GMT (UK) »

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 December 13 23:04 GMT (UK) »
It is possible to trace Stephen Barnes Coastguard career using the ADM 175 files, available as free downloads from the National Archives website. The following will give you a start, but you will have to work back from his discharge on 16 Feb 1861 (ADM 175/19 pdf 84) when Chief Boatman at Knockdoon CG Station. If you wish I can do this for you; just let me know.

Despite being incorrectly indexed I did manage to find a Merchant Seamen's Ticket for him. On this his date of birth is given as 25 June 1794, Mousehole, Cornwall. His description was 5'-10'' tall, fair complexion, brown hair, grey eyes, first went to sea as a boy in 1808, never served in the Royal Navy - this was issued at Knockdoon in June 1845.

Martin

Offline jobob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 December 13 05:20 GMT (UK) »
omgosh MARTIN(crimea 1854)...you have had me gasping  :)
I would so appreciate your offer of downloading the files i have not much of an idea on this....I truely can not thank you enough for the information you have provided me estatic is an understatement!!!! I have imagined him with your description :).......must discover where Knockdoon is .....A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS...YOU have certainly made mine !!!!!! wow to see his career in print would be wonderful cheers so very much
kind regards
Joanne

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 December 13 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joanne

Stephen was nominated on 30 August 1823 in London, taking up a first posting as a CG Boatman at Crandfield, Ireland on 11 September (ADM 175/15 pdf 160); he then made the following moves:

31 January 1828 to Ardglass following his promotion to Commissioned Boatman
3 July 1828 back to Cranfield (175/18 - 410)
5 April 1838 to Yougal following his promotion to Chief Boatman (175/18 - 71)
25 May 1838 to Ballycotton (175/18 - 75)
18 September 1841 to Knockdoon (175/18 - 73)
Discharged 16 Feb 1861 on Superannuation.

In the CG Service Commissioned Boatman were equivalent to Leading Seaman in the Royal Navy, and Chief Boatman to a Petty Officer 2nd Class (the next rate was Chief Boatman in Charge). In command of the CG Station was normally an Officer of the rank of Lieutenant.

The above career details add information about Stephen's life, but perhaps more importantly it provides geographic information and dates to enable you to seek details of other members of the family. Find my Past now advise me that they have correctly indexed his Merchant Seamen's Ticket.

Incidently, there was a John Tremethick Barnes, born 22 February 1818, Mousehole, who also served in the CG Service (in 1857 he was in Devon). I would assume that he and Stephen are related, but what the relationship is I've no idea!

All the very best, and have a great Christmas.
Martin

Offline jobob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 December 13 08:12 GMT (UK) »
 :)...Martin thankyou so very much i am grateful I am certain i would not have found any of the information you have provided me :), Yes the information, geographically is outstanding and I should be able to chase more family members, i will definately look into John TremethickBarnes born 1818 mousehole to my way of thinking it would possibly be a son and hence his middle name may lead me to discover Stephen's wife???...... Devon....yes i think that may be where Stephen's father and mother may have gone, his father was recorded as being a PILOT whether with coastguard or not i am uncertain...he was Stephen Junior Barnes...again thankyou immensley :)
Merry christmas to you
Joanne

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 December 13 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!