Author Topic: Any ideas on this company please  (Read 668 times)

Offline Ryan1

• RootsChat Member
  • Miss Winx
    • View Profile
Any ideas on this company please
« on: Monday 23 December 13 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Could some kind person please give me a run down on "The Trustees Executors and Agency Company Limited" of 412 Collins Street Melbourne.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all.

Daniel.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas on this company please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 December 13 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Could some kind person please give me a run down on "The Trustees Executors and Agency Company Limited" of 412 Collins Street Melbourne.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trustees_Executors_and_Agency_Company

ADD
"Trustees Executors and Agency Company (TEA, 1879 – 1983) was the first trustee company formed in Australia. It carried on unexciting business for its first 90 years, before collapsing after an excursion into bad property deals in the early 1980s.
TEA was established by William Templeton in 1878 when he perceived a need for wealthy or moderately wealthy people to have a good executor after their death. The company's formation required a special act of parliament because such matters had previously only been handled by individuals. The company floated in 1879 with tight restrictions on the capital investments it could make and on how many shares any one person could control. Those shareholding limits had the effect of making the board and management largely self-perpetuating, since so many shareholders would have to act together to effect change."

Further ADD
http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/papers/govpub/VPARL1879-80Vol1p829-855.pdf

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ryan1

• RootsChat Member
  • Miss Winx
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas on this company please
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 December 13 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello majm,

Thank you kindly for your reply and information.  Have the most wonderful Christmas.

Daniel.