Author Topic: Census Records & Occupations  (Read 552 times)

Offline ostrauts

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Census Records & Occupations
« on: Saturday 04 January 14 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,

I've been tracing one of my 3rd Great Grand Uncle through the census records.  His occupation is listed from 1861 - 1891 as a Coal Merchant, but in 1871 he lists himself as a Baker.  All the information matches, birth year, address and the first born.  His wife is listed with her middle name as opposed to the other census records.

I'm doubting myself whether its the right family or not.  Mostly, due to the occupation change.  Is this something others have experienced when researching their family?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Census Records & Occupations
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 January 14 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Men took what work the could sometimes, esp with a Family to feed.
I have just researched a Family on here for someone and Head of Household in various Census has occp's of Butcher/Worker in Waterworks/ and Miner above Ground. Same fellow everything else matches DOB/POB/Wife/Children.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 January 14 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Stranger things have happened. Occupations often changed. I would maybe be more concerned that the wife's name is different.

If you post the details of him on a couple of the censuses, and also the one you believe to be him in 1871, I'm sure there are many of us who would be willing to have a look to confirm (or otherwise) that you have the right man.  :)

Offline ostrauts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 January 14 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your replies and advice on occupations.  It's certainly looks to be the correct family.

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 January 14 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Do be wary of assuming they are the same.

When I had a tree on Genes, I kept getting matches for a branch of my London family with a family 'oop north'

All names of family (parents and children) were the same as were the ages.  Now if I had not found my lot on every census and knew a bit about them from grandparents, I too would have thought they moved.

So do take care. ;)
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)