Author Topic: Canadian Marriage  (Read 1026 times)

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Canadian Marriage
« on: Saturday 04 January 14 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Looking for a marriage which took place 'in Canada' after 1950.
Is there an on-line site where I could look for this marriage?

Thanks.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 January 14 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Unfortunately there are no BMD indexes/registries in Canada.   Canada has very strict privacy laws and each province imposes its own even further.  Additionally, some provinces are more research friendly than others so researching in Canada can be challenging.
Have you any idea where ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 January 14 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Have sent you a pm.

Regards
Sandra  ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline thegabriel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 22:59 GMT (UK) »

For after 1950 for marriages, searching online you can search for Quebec and some records of neighbouring provinces at BMS2000.org and on Ancestry
I believe the "S" in BMS stands for "sépulture" which means "burial".
I just looked up a marriage in Quebec on Ancestry from 1961.

Also there are newspaper databases. There are free ones if you have access. For example, if you have a Toronto library card you can access the historical Toronto Star database online. I access the historical Globe and Mail and look up marriage announcements through the Ottawa Library.

Although, you are asking about online sources after 1950, I have to add the following about other sources, because some people may read the above post and think that you cannot look up a lot of records in Canada.

As for not online there are other sources for more recent. There are not strict privacy laws in Canada for accessing non-government records, like it seems implied for all records, in the post above. For example I was in the public library yesterday and they had 100s of books of copies of church registers from multiple provinces. And for local churches, I was looking at entries in the 1980s for a local Ottawa (in Ontario)church, and there were more recent ones.
And I know that you can arrange with churches to view their records in person.
Also funeral home and cemetery records can be very accessible in person.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Unfortunately there are no BMD indexes/registries in Canada.   Canada has very strict privacy laws and each province imposes its own even further.  Additionally, some provinces are more research friendly than others so researching in Canada can be challenging.
Have you any idea where ?

Sandra

I stand by my post above - it was a general statement without going into the ins and outs and I did not imply all records were unavailable. British Columbia probably has more available than elsewhere.

Through private messaging (because of "living person rules" on the site)  I was able to help the poster and complete the thread.

Many people posting on the Canadian board do not live in Canada and cannot easily "pop-in" to the library as you did, they rely on helpful "chatters" on this site helping them.
Obviously, volunteer Rootschatters try all sorts of ways to help posters, sometimes by using newspaper announcements, cemetery records, obituaries, telephone directories, http://www.canada411.ca/ etc it is possible to trace the families forward. Many volunteer Rootschatters are very generous with there time and will go out of there way to visit libraries and get the information that is not instantly available online.

Anyone will have trouble searching for records unless they can narrow down the geographic location. Canada is the second largest country in the world and every province and territory has different records from different years kept in different locations! So unless you know at the minimum a province or territory you're going to have a challenge.

Ships passenger records to Canadian ports of arrival are not available online after 1935. Immigration records after 1935 are in the custody of Citizenship and Immigration Canada. To obtain a copy you must meet certain requirements which are outlined on the website.

BMS2000.org is a pay site, reasonably priced so I believe, that has many Quebec Province marriages, baptisms and burials in a searchable database. The actual search is free, to look at the details costs a 'hit'.

Ancestry requires a subscription - Quebec, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection),  covers 1621-1967.

Toronto Library - Non-Residents and Visitors - If you live outside of Toronto but would like to be able to borrow material and access all of the library's services, you can get a library card for a fee of $30.00 every 3 months.

Canada Resources board also has many links for posters to try, perhaps if you have information on where people should look it would be a good idea to post the relevant sites on that board.