Author Topic: 1797 marine??  (Read 729 times)

Offline grahamm684

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1797 marine??
« on: Sunday 05 January 14 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello, happy new year!
   I have a William Hiscox/Hiscocks can be spelt several ways, who married a Mary Adams at St John the Baptist in Frome Somerset in July 1797. On the cert it says that William was a 'soldier in the Portsmouth marines' does anyone know where I could find a record of some sort relating to Willam in the marines or army around this time. A couple of his children were born in Plymouth although all were baptised in Frome St John, so maybe he was stationed in Plymouth at some stage.
  Any help or advise much appreciated.

Regards, Graham Martin

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1797 marine??
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 January 14 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham

If you search the National Archive’s Catalogue you get a hit for an allotment – William Hiscox; Ship's name: HMS Bellona; Pay book number: ML 192; Rank: Private Marine; Relation: Mother Sarah; When Alloted: 1798; Remarks: Not stated.

Allotments were deductions marines and seaman authorized to be sent to their family. You have to wonder why he also did not send money to his wife. His mother may have lived a distance from his home port, and he saw his wife more frequently. But this is just a guess.

It could be this ship- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Bellona_(1760) – but there was also a 3-gun gunboat of the same name. The Catalogue gives lots of hits for Bellona including musters and some ships logs. But you will have to go to Kew. There were occasional transfers between division. There are no results for the Hiscock spelling.

ADM157 includes Marine attestation forms but there are no hits for his name. Not all records have been indexed, so you will have to visit to be sure. These are organised by Division.

Ken

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 January 14 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello, happy new year!
   I have a William Hiscox/Hiscocks can be spelt several ways, who married a Mary Adams at St John the Baptist in Frome Somerset in July 1797. On the cert it says that William was a 'soldier in the Portsmouth marines' does anyone know where I could find a record of some sort relating to Willam in the marines or army around this time. A couple of his children were born in Plymouth although all were baptised in Frome St John, so maybe he was stationed in Plymouth at some stage.
  Any help or advise much appreciated.

Regards, Graham Martin
I am afraid that there will not be much that you will find by searching however there are some points that you could explore.
The 'Glorious 1st of June 1794' under Admiral Lord Howe and Nelson's three victories at the Nile,Copenhagen and Trafalgar.
The battle of St Vincent was fought on Valentine's day in 1797 under Sir John Jervis and your man might probably have been present.
Any of these you could visit as it is more than likely that your man was present.
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 January 14 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry have a Marine called William Hiscock serving on HMS QUEEN CHARLOTTE receiving the Naval General Service Medal with Algiers clasp. Algiers was bombarded on 27th August 1816. In order to receive this medal the man had to be alive in 1847.

Ken

Offline grahamm684

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 January 14 23:06 GMT (UK) »

Hello and thanks for your replies, I had seen the ref, to the Bellona before but wasn't sure if it belonged as the mother is Sarah, but I have now found a William Hiscox baptism with a father of Michael and mother Sarah in 1777, and it seems the father died 1780.
  William had six children starting abt 1800, James born Plymouth Devonshire baptised in Frome, then the next 1803 born and baptised Frome, then 1806 born Stonehouse Devonshire baptised in Frome, there were three more children all born and baptised in Frome.This all seems to point to the fact the family were split between two places over a period and could of been why he sent money to his mother.I cant say for sure on when William died but I think it looks like it could of been abt 1847 so im not so sure about the other record about Algiers.
  All needs more checking out, but all very interesting, do you think it would be worth ordering the allotment record off  the national archives, I find that website hard work at times.

Regards, Graham.