Author Topic: Stephen Elvey Marriage - possibly Canterbury  (Read 846 times)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stephen Elvey Marriage - possibly Canterbury
« on: Wednesday 08 January 14 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Stephen and Sir George Job Elvey, born in Canterbury, Kent are well documented except for the first marriage of Stephen Elvey. It is estimated from the memoirs of George Job Elvey (written by his fourth wife) that Stephen would have married 1823-1830 probably Canterbury or nearby.

George Job Elvey states “When I was fourteen [i.e. 1830] my Brother [Stephen] was appointed organist of New College, Oxford.” Previously to this he was the Master of the Choristers in Canterbury.”

Again George states “My poor brother [Stephen] met with a sad misadventure, when I was only 6 [i.e. 1822], being accidentally shot by a friend whose sister [Ann] he afterwards married. He was taken to the Kent and Canterbury Hospital where his leg was amputated.”

I cannot find Stephen’s marriage  on familysearch.org  All that is known is Ann died 1843 in Oxford.
Possibly Stephen and Ann married in Canterbury.

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Elvey Marriage - possibly Canterbury
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 12:52 GMT (UK) »
There's a marriage for a Stephen Elvey to Ann Rouse at St Mary Northgate in the City 09/01/1827 :)
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Elvey Marriage - possibly Canterbury
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. "Mission Completed". I will look up the Church on the Internet to see what it looked like.