Author Topic: Service records,waiting time reduced  (Read 455 times)

Offline bugle boy

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
Service records,waiting time reduced
« on: Friday 10 January 14 00:49 GMT (UK) »
I sent for my uncle's service record,and received them in just over 5 months {17 pages of his record}spanning his career of just under 25 years, starting in 1920 when he enlisted to the end of it in 1946.
Since then I have sent for my fathers record {about 7 weeks ago}and got a letter back a couple of weeks ago with a file number,also was enclosed a page giving me their address in case I wanted to get in touch withthem.at the bottom of the page they said there would be a 3 to 6 month waiting period.
So I guess they have shortened the waiting period. just thought I should pass this along.

Kind regards B/B
Adams,McKittrick. Co Down. N Ireland.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Service records,waiting time reduced
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 January 14 11:07 GMT (UK) »
How much does this cost Bugle Boy and does it give you more information than you would get on find my past  :) :) :)

Offline bugle boy

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 January 14 13:43 GMT (UK) »
hi rosie,
It costs me 30 pounds,and I got them from,Army Personnel  Records,in Glasgow,Scotland.
They only have records of WW2,I had sent for for another Uncle's, who had served in WW1 but they sent me back my 30 pound money order saying that WW1 records were mostly destroyed in a bombing raid in WW2 and that any that had survived were in the National Archives in London.
I  was surprised to get my uncles full record as he joined in 1920 just 2 years after WW1 and they were able to go back that far.

PM me if you need any more info rosie.
Adams,McKittrick. Co Down. N Ireland.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 January 14 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Information held by MOD on Royal Navy (RN), Royal Marines (RM), British Army, Royal Air Force (RAF) service records and Home Guard records.

Royal Navy and Royal Marine Service records for Commissioned and non-commissioned officers (both RN and RM) from 1924 onwards.

British Army Service records for officers whose service ended after April 1922 and soldiers whose service ended after January 1921.

RAF Service Records for non-commissioned and commissioned RAF personnel dating back to 1920.

See https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)