Author Topic: Completed WANTED picture of The Palais, Newcastle NSW in heyday  (Read 13585 times)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Completed WANTED picture of The Palais, Newcastle NSW in heyday
« on: Sunday 12 January 14 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello

My parents met at The Palais in Newcastle, NSW in the early 1960's and I am seeking either a picture of the façade or some dancers there, preferably of the era.  Looking online it is mainly the ones of its sorry state pre demolition to make way for the southern hemispheres biggest KFC!
I would need permission to copy. I would like to frame and give it to them for their 50th anniversary.
Images seem a rarity, but I am hoping someone out there has one.  I looked at the Newcastle University archives images online, but not much luck. Only a side on view with a car going past.
Thanks for any help!
Nova67

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WANTED picture of The Palais, Newcastle NSW in heyday
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 January 14 01:21 GMT (UK) »

Showing your age Muss, I met my wife at the Mayfield Hall where the Uni dances were held.

Gerry

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 January 14 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes I was very young when I was there ( doing the Town hall crawl (dance))

Met my husband at Pippis

Muss

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 January 14 02:10 GMT (UK) »
I have emailed Newcastle University and The Herald today, but maybe someone has images in their private collection?  I guess I particularly would like one of the façade.  I have until August 2014 for this request!
Thanks for responses.

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 January 14 04:15 GMT (UK) »
You could try the following:

Newcastle Public library
any museums in Newcastle
State library of NSW

Good luck

Regards
Jennaya

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 January 14 05:16 GMT (UK) »
Try TROVE - the general section of TROVE, not just the newspapers as there is mention of  a book put out by Newcastle Regional Library.  I notice that TROVE is in the process of digitising the Newcastle Herald so there may be something usable when that comes up which is supposed to be in the next 1-28 days.   If you click on the blue "coming soon" link where the snippets are mentioned the NLA will send an email when the digitising is complete.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/result?q=palais+newcastle

I think the Newcastle Library would be well worth a call or an email.
http://www.newcastle.nsw.gov.au/services/newcastle_library/information_and_research

What a lovely gift idea!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 January 14 05:25 GMT (UK) »
Found a bit more - this link to Newcastle Library says they have thousands of photos......  Some of them may be much older than 1950/60s though.

http://www.newcastle.nsw.gov.au/services/newcastle_library/local_studies/local_studies_e-resources/hunter_photo_bank

608 photos on this site, but again, the ones I looked at seemed to be quite a bit older.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/uon/sets/72157625839715092/

The Historical Society may also be able to help.  They seem to meet only monthly so you'd probably do better to phone the contacts given - they may also know of someone who has private photos
http://www.heritagehunter.org.au/newcastle-hunter-district-historical-society-inc
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 January 14 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I think Newcastle Herald photos were donated to Newcastle Library

Muss