Author Topic: WWI service records  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WWI service records
« on: Sunday 12 January 14 18:01 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather (b1895) was one of 8 children, 6* of them boys (b1885-1898). The 2nd oldest died of influenza in 1918 in Mesopotamia (8th battalion, Welsh Regiment) but I've not found anything to firmly identify any of the others, yet I would assume all served. I know many of the records haven't survived, but so many of the records that do only have initials.

Where is the best place to look?

Deirdre

* edited to say 5 boys :-[
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WWI service records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 January 14 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Personally, I would look at either Ancestry or FindMyPast.

Both are subscription sites? ::)

Why not post details and we will see what we can find - or not! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 January 14 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Personally, I would look at either Ancestry or FindMyPast.

Have looked at both previously, and Forces War Records (though without a sub).

Typically, I've just found a John C Lord (medal card) with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, but nothing to confirm it's my grandfather. Edited to add: And now an Oswald T Lord (medal card) with the Royal Engineers, which I would guess is him.

My grandfather was John Cuthbert Lord (b1895), brothers William Joseph Francis Lord (b1885), Bernard Ignatius Lord (b1892), and Oswald Theodore Lord (b1898). All from Cardiff. Edward John (b1889, d1918). You'd think their names would help.

Deirdre

CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 January 14 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Just remembered I have a photo of Oswald in uniform.... can anyone confirm that it's the uniform of the Royal Engineers?

Thanks,

Deirdre

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 January 14 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Looks similar does cap badge.Your man is a mounted soldier.

Do you have access to any local papers? They are good source for enlistment particularly 1914-1916.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 January 14 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Looks similar does cap badge.Your man is a mounted soldier.

Do you have access to any local papers? They are good source for enlistment particularly 1914-1916.

Ady

Thanks Ady, our main libary has local papers on film. It never occured to me that they gave enlistments though.

Would it be a list of those who had enlisted that week / month and their regiment, or an article (just to give me an idea of what to look for!). I know my maternal grandfather served throughout WWI in the RAMC (I have photos and amazing letters sent to his sister) but haven't found any service records (or even a medal card for him).

Deirdre

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 January 14 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Looking at my local papers there are lists of names saying "enlisted this week" etc sometimes you get lucky and there are photos.
They are pretty good up to 1916 then conscription started so too many for papers to keep up with.

Obituary notices are also a good source in local papers.
Good luck its time consuming hope you get a result.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 January 14 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Looking at my local papers there are lists of names saying "enlisted this week" etc sometimes you get lucky and there are photos.
They are pretty good up to 1916 then conscription started so too many for papers to keep up with.

Obituary notices are also a good source in local papers.
Good luck its time consuming hope you get a result.

Ady

That's my next trip to the library sorted then, thanks! Have found lots of interesting info from death notices.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 January 14 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dierdre

It would also be worthwhile looking for a death notice in the newspapers. It may give details of his brothers also serving.

And, if you have an address, you should look for entries in the electoral roll for 1918-19.

Ken