Author Topic: how to find divorce records 1942? please help  (Read 1183 times)

Offline skyedoug

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
how to find divorce records 1942? please help
« on: Monday 13 January 14 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have come across a record of a divorce in a newspaper on trove that tells of my great-grandfather's divorce from his first wife in 1942. I was always of the belief that he didn't divorce her, but lived with my great-grandmother as a 'friend/border' after the war until he died. We didn't in fact know he was related until only a few years ago, when blood typing showed that to be the case. Regardless I am now chasing the divorce records for him from his wife. Can anyone instruct me on how I might go about this? Would it be possible, or are these records sealed for a period just as births, deaths, etc.? Many thanks for any assistance.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: how to find divorce records 1942? please help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 January 14 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Divorce records NSW search (just put in the name followed by the word 'divorce' otherwise you will get all other records, death, etc):
http://investigator.records.nsw.gov.au/Search.aspx
You can view and photograph these records FREE by visiting Kingswood or you can get staff to make photocopies for a cost.

cheers :)
cupoflife

Offline skyedoug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 January 14 09:17 GMT (UK) »
thanks cupoflife. I should have said that the couple I am interested in are from South Australia. I will use that info for another divorce I am looking for from NSW though, so thank you. :)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 03:17 GMT (UK) »

You could try:

State Records of South Australia
http://www.archives.sa.gov.au/

Dawn M

Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 03:59 GMT (UK) »
I recall reading that divorce records are not easy to access in SA particularly those under 100 years old.  Found this info for you

Only records held at SA Records

Divorce — files GRG 36/23 & 36/51 give petitions to the Supreme Court in the period 1859-93. The results of the petitions are usually not given

Supreme Court Registry [contact information]
        1 Gouger Street, Adelaide SA 5000, Australia
        Telephone: +618 8204 0476 & +618 8204 0478
    Court records including divorce more than 100 y old — involved procedure that may require more than one visit to the court registry

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk