Author Topic: George KEAN (KEANE) South Australia  (Read 6464 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George KEAN (KEANE) South Australia
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 05:48 GMT (UK) »
So many errors occur in family history research because people simply don't source the primary records but rely on transcriptions.

I will have to check with my relative about how she got George's birth date record and get back to you all.

If the date of birth is correct, it suggests to me his birth was possibly illegitimate and not recorded.

I wonder who Ann Lillian Norman is? A grandchild?

I cannot see a connection as yet...

Death
NORMAN Ann Lillian
11 Sep 1942  3 weeks  Status Child  Mother Shirley Helen NORMAN [Mother]
Residence Fullarton  Death Place North Adelaide   Ade H 655/5011

The child died in a hospital or place of care.  I would suggest the Children's Hospital at North Adelaide.  The child's surname is the same as the mother's. 

Cando

Edit to remove link...may involve living persons
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 06:08 GMT (UK) »
[snip]
Saddles - I wasn't aware of that George Kean. His death doesn't fit with my dates that I can see. Do you think he may be related? Seems odd to have the same name in the same location doesn't it? hmmm
Thank you again!
Skye

Seems very likely he is related being of the same name and location, perhaps a son or the son
of another related Kean, quite popular at one time to name first cousins with same name, and
more so in Ireland where one can often find both male/female children all having the same name
and all within a very short time line due to brothers naming their children after grandparents.
It can and does cause confusion.

I can only suggest you contact the society quoting the reference number to find out if more info
is available.....good luck.

Mike.

The date of death is for George Alexander's wife, Annie.  His name may be on the headstone but he is interred at another location in the cemetery.  The index names not only the deceased but any other family members named in the transcriptions.

Cando

Offline skyedoug

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Cando, of course!! I believe you have solved that issue with the 1940 mention of George Kean! Well done and thank you. I had already emailed the genealogy society about this, but I think you have the answer!   

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 07:41 GMT (UK) »
And may have saved some money. There may be fee for the information.  I could be wrong.

Cheers  ;D
Cando

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 12:10 GMT (UK) »

South Australian Register 22 Sep 1891

George KEEN was charged by Mary BOLITHO with unlawfully leaving her without adequate means to support his four illegitimate children. Mr. M. H. Davies defended. The evidence of the prosecutrix showed a sad state of things.. Both parties had been living together as .man and wife for over ten years. The children had  been registered with defendant's knowledge in his name. Defendant, according to her statement, had left her, and was living with another person. She had very often not sufficient means to support the children. He gave the children money, but not her. Mr. Davies said his client could not live with the prosecutrix, but was continually giving prosacutrix money which she failed to spend rightly. He asked that tho case should be adjourned for a week in order that arrangements could be made whereby the children would be satisfactorily taken care of. Adjourned till September 28.

Advertiser 24 Jun 1892
George Kean was charged with not contributing towards the support of his illegitimate child. He was £15s. in arrears.......... cabdriving  business........ Mary Boiitho, the mother of the child.......has had tour children by him.........(George) living in the same house as a woman named Annie Bell, who seemed to irritate Bolitho.....

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Terrific  ;D .....confirms the research :)

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 12:23 GMT (UK) »
A few new items about Mary  ::)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0xl9/

Cando

Offline skyedoug

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Wivenhoe, I had come across something similar whilst searching yesterday too. This one
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/25330887?searchTerm=kean%20charge%20indecency&searchLimits=l-decade=189|||l-year=1892.
names both Mary and Annie, so it confirms that the George A Kean fathering Mary and Annie's children is the same. Mary seems to have had a rough trot. Some interesting reading on her, Cando! I wonder why George was only required to pay child support for one of his children. The youngest would have been only just born.
I spoke to my relative and it seems that she doesn't have George V. Kean's birth certificate but was working on the dates he had given for his birth. It may be that he was older than he stated and that he was the George Stanley of Mary & George... Is there any way to try to confirm or disprove this? It seems like an impossible task when all concerned are passed away...
Many thanks
Skye

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 23:49 GMT (UK) »
The death of Mary Grace WEDD formerley BOLITHO in NSW.  Her death cert should list her children's names and ages, and whether they were still living.

8772/1904
WEDD, MARY C
Father: JOHN
Registered at SOUTH BROKEN HILL 

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/44351681
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/44346620

I do not have access to the inquest details, but her age is given as 38, and birthplace as Adelaide, so I think this confirms that she is the right person.

Funeral Notice
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/44346634

Debra  :)