Author Topic: St George Island Australia  (Read 863 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
St George Island Australia
« on: Tuesday 14 January 14 15:37 GMT (UK) »
I found on Ancestry my grandfather and about 15 other guards sailing on The Ormuz from London to St George Island Australia in 1901 could anyone help me find why they would be going there.
He was in The Coldstream Guards at that time .

James Watson McKenzie strangely also came back to London on this ship with his widowed mother and two sisters in 1890 91 .

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Re: St George Island Australia
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you wasn't sure where to put it

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth

Findmypast only have a James McKenzie who served in the Coldstream Guards for a few months in 1897.

The Guards are one of the few regiments who have copies of their men's records -
http://www.theguardsmuseum.com/Family-Research

Can you post a link to the Ormuz link? Although it may only be on the World site.

Ken

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Ken ,
How do I send a link to the Ormus link

When I first started my family search I did contact Wellington Barracks
they could not find my grandfather but I did in 1901 census as a private in the guards
I had given them all the details I had .however I did get his army records from Ancestry some time later
It was just by chance I found him sailing to Australia in 1901
He must have left the forces just after this trip as on his marriage certificate in 1902 an electrical engineer .
I have gone into Find my Past and see he is there as you say I need to find this again as I have just paid for some credits
Elizabeth

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 17:52 GMT (UK) »

Found some more of James Watson McKenzie's records
Home 8.6.1897 to 17.3.00

In South Africa 18.3.00 to 8.5.1900 he receives The Queens South Africa Medal Clasps : Cape Colony .

Home 9.5.1900 to 7.6.1913

Nothing in Find My Past that he has gone back abroad ???

I will just have to keep on looking

Elizabeth

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 18:29 GMT (UK) »
How do I send a link to the Ormus link

Hi Elizabeth

By 'link' I mean the internet address - technically its 'url'.

To send the link simply click anywhere in the link/address/url box press Ctrl and A together (to select all), then Ctrl C (to copy), and you can then paste it in your next post using Ctrl V. You can do the same thing a number of ways.

Ken

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Right thanks will sort that out tomorrow if I have time

Elizabeth

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 20:04 GMT (UK) »
I have made a very big mistake SORRY
I have been through my files tonight and found James sailed 1897 aged 21 (he did lie about his age he was born 1878 ) to Albany King George Sounds on the SS Ormus occupation a guard .The ship left London and the ships master was E A Veale .Number of Passengers were 186

But I still would like to find why the guards were sent there in 1897 his soldiers number was 928

Elizabeth