Author Topic: Sarah Manser 1851 Census Arlington Sussex  (Read 2781 times)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Manser 1851 Census Arlington Sussex
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 January 14 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Arlington is very close to Hailsham and comes under that registration district.   If you use freebmd you can click on the name of the district and it takes you to a Genuki link which tells you exactly which villages/towns are in which district.  Westham is the other side of Hailsham.  Do look on google maps and see for yourself.
The Suffolk birth is surprising though.  That is miles away.  Wonder why they were there?

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 January 14 09:06 GMT (UK) »
There does seem to be a Manser family in Stradbroke Suffolk but they seem to stay there.  Could that birth place for your Edward be wrong or could they have been visiting relatives?  According to various sources (1841 census and newspaper reports) Edward Manser of Stradbroke is a grocer and draper.  Married to an Emma?   He appears to have died in or before 1846.
  At Stradbroke Friday Oct 9th, 1846, The neat and modern HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE, Books, part of the Stock in Trade, and Effects of the late Mr. EDWARD MANSER, Grocer and Draper; including capital mahogany post, tent and French bedsteads and furniture, 3 capital featherbeds etc
The Ipswich Journal
East, England
26/09/1846

There is much more mentioned and he appears to have been living very comfortably!  I wonder if he left a will?     That might be very useful if he mentions lots of relatives.

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 January 14 10:02 GMT (UK) »
There does seem to be a Manser family in Stradbroke Suffolk but they seem to stay there.  Could that birth place for your Edward be wrong or could they have been visiting relatives?  According to various sources (1841 census and newspaper reports) Edward Manser of Stradbroke is a grocer and draper.  Married to an Emma?   He appears to have died in or before 1846.
  At Stradbroke Friday Oct 9th, 1846, The neat and modern HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE, Books, part of the Stock in Trade, and Effects of the late Mr. EDWARD MANSER, Grocer and Draper; including capital mahogany post, tent and French bedsteads and furniture, 3 capital featherbeds etc
The Ipswich Journal
East, England
26/09/1846

There is much more mentioned and he appears to have been living very comfortably!  I wonder if he left a will?     That might be very useful if he mentions lots of relatives.

I think this one is the certificate I got years ago married to Emma Oxx