Author Topic: Sarah Manser 1851 Census Arlington Sussex  (Read 2782 times)

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Sarah Manser 1851 Census Arlington Sussex
« on: Wednesday 15 January 14 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Could someone please do a lookup for details of household

Name:    Sarah Manser
Birthplace:    Arlington, Sussex
Relationship to Head of Household:    Head
Schedule Type:    Household

Offline down-under

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Manser 1851 Census Arlington Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 02:07 GMT (UK) »
1851 Hellingly Sussex piece 1638 folio 253 page 11

West Street
Sarah Manser transcribed Mauer age 50 widow Arlington Sussex Charwoman
Robt son age 16 Westham Sussex  ag lab
Geo son age 10 Westham ag lab

Pam
oakley, Leadbeater, Hemming, Jones, Pearsall, Page,------ Aston, Leominster, Balsall Heath, Tewkesbury, Kings Norton, Birmingham.

census information are crown copyright of www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 02:58 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Mary for the information greatly appreciated

Kind regards
Barbara :)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Possible marriage   Robert Manser to Sarah Page 9th April 1822 in Hellingly.  That would fit with an 1841 census record at Westham near Eastbourne, so the same area.
Robert 45  ag lab
Sarah 40
Caroline 12
Thomas9
Robert 6
George 2   all born in county.   Remember ages above 15 are rounded down to the nearest 5.
 You would probably need a child's birth certificate to be sure.   www.freebmd.org.uk  should have them.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 January 14 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for the information it is the wrong Sarah, I am looking actually looking for birth of Edward Manser who is buried in Arlington Sussex died 1847 his parents were Sarah (Sally) and William Manser I believe he was born there also.

Kind regards
Barbara

Thank you for your PM as above.   It is usually better to reply on the topic so that everybody sees the answers and then we can all help.   Knowing the further information you have now given us does help.
William Mancer married Sarah Crowhurst in Arlington 28 April 1818.   Is that a possible?   Are you a member of the Sussex Family History Group?     They have a lot of baptisms online available for members.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 January 14 12:42 GMT (UK) »
The burial record for Edward gives his age as 32 which gives a birth date of c1815.   William and Sally are having children baptised in Westham.  Sally 1825, Dehlah 1827, Mary 1838.  There is also one for Aaron in 1836 but parents are shown as William and Emma.  That may be an error.
I can't see a baptism for Edward at the moment.   How do you know who his parents were?

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 January 14 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for your reply, I know his parents were William and Sally, because his son's Edward also, and William were sent to their grandparents in Australia when Edward and his wife Harriott died in 1847. I tried to get a birth certificate through GRO for him but the date we have is wrong,and they couldnt find any record,came across another Edward different date but he was married to a Emma Ox, in the the family bible he is married to Harriot, they lived in Kent, I have all details of him and there, in Workhouse in Tenterden, and also 1851 census for his sons William and Edward who migrated in 1855, I think he was born in a different place to his brother's and sister's, his father married twice.
When William and Sally migrated in 1839 Aaron,David, Margaret were also on the ship with them, I assumed they were their children also. I now think they were relatives of William and Sally. This Edward 1847 has got me stumped I have been trying to find him for 10yrs, all I have is his burial.

As I said before - you would be better replying on the topic, just click the reply button at the bottom, rather than sending information to me by pm - so I have posted it here.   

So, your family had left the UK before the 1841 census?    I am not sure whose birth you tried to find a certificate for.    GRO records do not start until 1837.   Anything prior to that has to be be from parish records.  Did you mean Death?   UK death certificates do not give much information on them.   Edward Manser's death is registered in the Dec quarter 1847 in Hailsham ref 7 269

If they lived in Kent why do you think this is his death?     Sorry to keep asking questions but you obviously know a lot about the family and we are still a bit in the dark!     The more you give us the more we can help.   Your initial query was for an 1851 census for a Sarah so I assumed it was a Sussex family you were chasing.    Can you give us a brief list of the information you have from the family bible?   They are a wonderful source to have.
I will look further later to see what I can pick up but more definite details would help.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 January 14 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Goodness, I can see that this is difficult.  There are numerous trees on Ancestry and all with different information.   Most of them have no sources though so can be discounted.  I expect one person put up some guesswork and dozens of others have copied it.
If you are sure about the 1841 census then that shows that Edward was not born in county (Kent).   I am just slightly concerned that your Edward gives his occupation as shoemaker in 1846 yet that requires apprenticeship and training and in 1841 he is in the workhouse.   Do birth certs for the children all say he is a shoemaker?
Who was William's first wife?

There are baptisms at Westham for David in 1821 son of Edward and Sally (Lab) and Margaret 1821 dau of Wm and Sarah (lab).
Aaron, as I said previously, shows as son of William and Emma baptised 1836.   Of course none of them may have been baptised as infants so they could be older than we think.
Where were the children William and Edward in 1851?   Is Edward the one in Hellingly workhouse?

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 January 14 06:25 GMT (UK) »
I will put all details here as it will be a bit more clearer this from family tree done by relative
William James Manser born 2 June  1790 in Hurstmonceux Sussex married Sarah (known as Sally) Crowhurst. Migrated 1839 to Australia aboard "The Duchess of Northumberland" Lived at "Highlands" Mt Crawford South Australia

Children of this marriage:
 Edward b 11 Jan 1818 Stradbroke Suffolk Stayed in England m Harriott Avery Bromley Kent
William b 23 Apr 1820  died in England not long after birth buried Westham Sussex
Margaret b 6 Dec 1821 Westham Sussex  Migrated m Jack Hamilton settled in Victoria Aust death cert shows mother is Sarah Crowhurst.
Sarah b 17 Apr  1825 died Westham Sussex 3yrs old
Delilah  b 29 Apr 1827
Walter b 7 June 1829  Migrated m Ellen Eager lived at "Highlands" Mt Crawford South
Philip 13 Mar 1830   Migrated lived Mt Crawford moved to Mt Gambier South Australia with wife Maria Mc Donald
Eliza Rebecca b 7 Dec 1833  Migrated m Robert Mewett lived Vic Australia
Thomas 14 Nov 1834 died as a infant buried in Westham Sussex
Aaron b 7 Aug 1836   Migrated 3yrs of age, lived with parents in Mt Crawford until vanishing droving cattle to New South Wales Australia
Mary b 1 Apr 1836 died aboard "the The Duchess of Northumaberland"

Edward Manser b 11Jan 1818 m Harriot Avery in Kent
Children of this marriage
Edward Manser b 25 Sep 1840 My ggrandfather Migrated aboard "The Oriental" arr Aus 1 May 1855
William Manser  b 10 Jul 1844 Migrated aboard "The Oriental " arr Aust 1 May 1855
Walter Manser b 29 Aug 1846 died 10 Oct 1846 in Bromley Kent

Harriot Avery Edward Manser's wife  died 15 Mar 1847 in Bromley Kent
Edward Manser died 9 Oct 1847 place unknown, buried Arlington Sussex

This was written in family bible when Harriott died by her husband Edward Manser
" To the Memory of Harriott Manser who departed this life March 15 1847 aged 29 years and 10 months leaving issue 2 sons Edward and William. This ritual page her husband rote in the her only book, to proclaim the mornful day when he his wife had lost Bromley March 21 1847 Edward Manser"

My greatfather Edward Manser b 25 Seplived at Mt Crawford before moving to Mt Gambier m Maria Pepperell in Mt Gambier South Australia 2 May 1866, and name his house "Bromley died 20 Jul 1930
His brother William Manser b 10 Jul 1844 lived his his gparents William Sally at "Highlands" Mt Crawford South Australia and never married died 6 May 1917 buried Mt Crawford.

One of Edward Manser and Maria Pepperell's children Alfred Edwad named is property in Mt Gambier
" Arlington" after his grandfather's burial place in England .

Is Hailsham anywhere near Arlington in Sussex , I applied for death certificate for Edward the father in Kent, so I will now try for death cert for Edward  in Hailsham.  The reason I believe Edward is buried in Arlington I think he took the children back to Sussex after their mother died in Kent,maybe relatives could only take in one child that is why my ggrandfather is in the workhouse. I hope this helps.

Kind regards
Barbara