Author Topic: Looking for Ambrose Joseph Hoaen & Sarah Hobson  (Read 2515 times)

Offline condesa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Ambrose Joseph Hoaen & Sarah Hobson
« on: Wednesday 15 January 14 20:28 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for Ambrose Joseph Hoaen and his wife Sarah.

I have been able to trace Ambrose through census records for 1841 and 1851 when he lived in St George the Martyr parish, Southwark, but can't find any record of his birth (approx 1796), marriage or death.  According to the census he was born in Surrey and married Sarah.  I can't find any death record for Sarah Hoaen either.  She appears to have been born in Middx approx 1800.

I have tracked down their children and been able to follow them through the records but not Ambrose or Sarah.

Hoaen is a rather unusual name and has possibly been mis-spelt or transcribed wrongly and I have tried several variants but no luck. 

Any help in finding them would be gratefully received.

Susan

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Ambrose Joseph Hoaen & Sarah Hobson
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi the marriage was by Banns:-

Ambrose Joseph Hoaen Widower to Sarah Hobson Spinster 12th March 1833 St Mary Lambeth

Witnesses Henry Briern? Hannah Robson/Hobson?

There is an earlier marriage of an Ambrose Hoaen to a Sarah Male 16th February 1817 St Mary, Newington witnesses Martin & Mary West?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 January 14 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, you say you have tracked Ambrose 1841/51 I cannot locate him in 1851, but their is this family that closely resembles the 1841 with Ambrose ie HO107/1084/ 7/7 / 6

1851 census

Sarah HODEN 49 Widow occ Charwoman b London, Middx
Henry 15 occ Chair Stainer b Southwark
George 11 b Southwark
Residing at 3, Rodney Street, St George the Martyr, Southwark
Census ref HO107/1564/134/40
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 January 14 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Some ancestry trees are listing Ambrose as being buried as Joseph Hoaen on 8 Oct 1843 at Southwark St George the Martyr aged 49 years.  The address is not the same as the 1841 Census entry but the death certificate may help in respect of who the informant was.  There is also a marriage of a William Hoaen and Priscilla Taylor on 26 Jun 1855 at Southwark St George the Martyr.  William lists his father as Joseph Hoaen, carpenter.  Looks like William and Priscilla married late as they are together on the 1851 Census.  Interestingly there is a male child to a Priscilla Hoaen and Ambrose Joseph Hoaen born in the Southwark Workhouse in June 1845, but the entry says that they left before the child was baptised.  It may be that Priscilla gave her "husband's" name incorrectly when she was admitted to the Workhouse, perhaps he wasn't present.  William is listed on his marriage entry as in the army, although they are resident together on the 1851 Census in Southwark where he is listed as a hawker.  An ancestry tree lists his baptism as William George Hoim baptised 12 May 1822 (born 1 Feb 1820) along with brother Ambrose Joseph Hoim at Southwark St George the Martyr to Ambrose and Sarah Hoim of Gun Street, cabinet maker.  As your Ambrose is listed on later records as a carpenter, it's likely this is him and his first wife.

They also suggest he was the son of Ambrose Hoan and Mary Proall who married 27 Aug 1788 at Southwark St Saviour.  That Ambrose was illiterate so may account for the spelling variations but interestingly, in light of the 1817 marriage that keyboard86 found, one of the witnesses was a W West.  None of trees though have any baptism date to prove Ambrose was their son, looks simply based on the name.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline condesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 January 14 11:58 GMT (UK) »
This is all very interesting.  The fact that Ambrose was married twice would explain why there is a big gap between the births of his first 2 children (1820 & 1822) and the later 3 (1833-1839).

So many variations of the spelling of the surname makes it very difficult to track them down.

If anything else comes to light please let me know.

Thanks, Susan

Offline condesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 January 14 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I think you were right about Sarah Hoden in the 1851 census.  I was mistaken when I said I had 1851 census info for Ambrose.

I was also wrong about the number of children Ambrose and the second Sarah (Hobson) had – it was four not three.  Joseph Charles was born in 1842 but died in 1843. 

Still struggling to find a death record for either of the Sarah’s Ambrose married.  The first Sarah must have died as Ambrose was given as a widower at his second marriage.

If Ambrose is the Joseph Hoaen who died in 1843 (and I will get the certificate to find out) then I wonder if Sarah re-married?  I can’t find a marriage though.

Ambrose could not be the son of Ambrose Hoan and Mary Poall if they married in 1788 as Ambrose was born approx 1796 (aged 45 on 1841 census).

I'm also wondering where the name Hoaen comes from - maybe Dutch or Norwegian?

Any thoughts?

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 April 18 01:40 BST (UK) »
there is this baptism
St Saviour Southwark
Sunday 29 Dec 1783 Ambrose Owen son of Ambrose Owen Hostler  and mary

dont know if this fits anywhere
Hi the marriage was by Banns:-

Ambrose Joseph Hoaen Widower to Sarah Hobson Spinster 12th March 1833 St Mary Lambeth

Witnesses Henry Briern? Hannah Robson/Hobson?

There is an earlier marriage of an Ambrose Hoaen to a Sarah Male 16th February 1817 St Mary, Newington witnesses Martin & Mary West?
Keyboard86

I read the witnesses as Henry Briers and Hannah Hobson

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 April 18 01:46 BST (UK) »
It seems Henry and sister Sarah were baptised on the same day
St George the Martyr Southwark baptisms 30June 1837
Henry Hoaen born 28 July 1835
Sarah Hoaen born 5 Sept 1833
children of Ambrose Joseph and Sarah
address Lant? St
occupation Carpenter

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline condesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 April 18 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz
Thanks for this.  The baptism I have seen for Ambrose Joseph son of Ambrose Owen mother Mary at St Saviour, Southwark is 29 December 1793.  This ties in with the death of Joseph Hoaen on 8 October 1843 aged 49.   The change of spelling of the surname is a concern though.  Hoaen is so unusual.
Susan