Author Topic: LCT 7086 and the D-Day Landings  (Read 1057 times)

Offline David Lea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LCT 7086 and the D-Day Landings
« on: Thursday 16 January 14 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching the military history of my Uncle James Timlin No JX523124 who served in the Royal Navy during WW2 and specifically was involved in the D-day operations at Omaha beach.

From his navy record we know we was attached to Tank Landing Craft LCT 7086 between 1/4/44 and 6/2/46 and although he is no longer with us, he did say that he was involved in the D-Day landings, conveying American troops to the Omaha beaches. I also believe, LCT 7086 was in 6 LCT Flotilla, “H” LCT Squadron, Force  “L” and was based  in  Harwich  just  before  Normandy.

He also told us that around this time, his landing craft was damaged and he had to be rescued and towed by a tug called the 'Griper' - I have found a record of this event and believe it took place on 19-20/6/44, which I understand coincides with the great storms.

I would love to find out more about the activities of LCT 7086 and the men who served or were conveyed on board. I am also interested in the type of work LCT 7086 would have been involved in.

I am a relative novice in this field, so any help or pointers would be gratefully received.

Thank you

David