Author Topic: FH software with chronological notes  (Read 595 times)

Offline leccy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Families are funny things
    • View Profile
FH software with chronological notes
« on: Saturday 18 January 14 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

My FH records are mostly kept in an old version of PAF and I'm thinking it's time to upgrade.

One thing I am really interested in is how my ancestors have moved and changed jobs over the years.

Can anyone recommended some FH software that has a good chronological notes section for addresses, jobs etc? I'd love to have something structured rather than relying of free-form notes.

I'm running Windows 8.1 if that makes a difference.

Cheers

Les
Tillett, Ludlow, Trevelion, Abbott, Williams, Thomas, Windas, Cooke of Australia

Offline Kaybron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FH software with chronological notes
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 January 14 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Les,
I recently purchased RootsMagic 6 and have started to use this.  You can add quite a few facts relating to each person and can include details such as occupation, residences, military and education to name just a few.  When you add the information you include the fact type, date and details and these are displayed in chronological order.  You can also add notes to births, deaths and marriages.
There are a variety of reports that can be prepared for families and individuals.  A new feature is being able to Publish Online.  You can create a webpage but this is only available to people that you give the web address to and is not likely to be found with a general google search.
Regards Kay

Offline leccy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Families are funny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 January 14 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kay. That's useful information.
Tillett, Ludlow, Trevelion, Abbott, Williams, Thomas, Windas, Cooke of Australia

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 January 14 08:15 GMT (UK) »
Les,

I still use RootsMagic 4, but I think the same concepts apply!
The screen showing an individual's details looks like the attached - a timeline as standard.

Please note I have only added a few facts - many more types are possible!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline CathieM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 March 14 13:23 GMT (UK) »
I would recommend Family Historian (I used Roots Magic previously) which has a good range of facts and events for recording this information.  Entering this information from censuses is easy using the free add-on programme Ancestral Sources.  You end up with details a bit like this one.  And if the built-in events don't cover all you require you can add your own very simply.

Why not down load the free trials of Family Historian, Roots Magic etc., give them all a try and see which you like best.