Author Topic: Electoral Registers, codes after name in brackets  (Read 961 times)

Offline Mggirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Electoral Registers, codes after name in brackets
« on: Monday 27 January 14 06:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've found some of my relatives on the Surrey Electoral Registers for 1945 but there are codes after 2 of their names which happen infrequently I don't understand.

Would SKS be able to tell me what (DMSR/149/I) and (SEZU/107/I) stand for please ?

The chaps I'm looking at are William and William James NEVE; father and son

Thank you
CAM : CHALLIS- Sawston/Stapleford, HOWE, NUNN - Whittlesford, FREESTONE

OXF - BREAKSPEAR- South Leigh, EVANS - Eynsham, HATHAWAY - Eynsham, HARPER/HARPUR - Eynsham, PHIPPS- South Leigh-Eynsham-Cogges,RICHAW - South Leigh, SMITH - Eynsham, WILLETT - Cogges

SFK - GODDEN

SRY - FREESTONE

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral Registers, codes after name in brackets
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 January 14 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Just a guess, but 4 letters plus 3 numbers looks like National Registration (wartime ID card) numbers, which later became National Health card numbers.  Could it be they were added to the register to distinguish the two people with the same name and address?
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline Mggirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 January 14 07:34 GMT (UK) »
I like your thinking John. Thank you

I've looked back on Ancestry and over the couple of pages adj to my relatives, there are households with more than one person of the same name in the house.

In those houses, they also have codes in brackets and the last number is unique.

Now to find out what the prefix letters mean ?

MGgirl
CAM : CHALLIS- Sawston/Stapleford, HOWE, NUNN - Whittlesford, FREESTONE

OXF - BREAKSPEAR- South Leigh, EVANS - Eynsham, HATHAWAY - Eynsham, HARPER/HARPUR - Eynsham, PHIPPS- South Leigh-Eynsham-Cogges,RICHAW - South Leigh, SMITH - Eynsham, WILLETT - Cogges

SFK - GODDEN

SRY - FREESTONE

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 January 14 08:10 GMT (UK) »
http://www.electoralregisters.org.uk/codes.htm   may help.   there is another thread about this somewhere on Rootschat too.

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 January 14 08:28 GMT (UK) »
http://www.1911census.org.uk/1939.htm
has some information about the ID numbers.  The four letters indicate the enumeration district where the person was living in 1939 (or where they were born if later).  And from what that page says, the "/I" you have quoted may actually be a number 1 meaning first in household.

So both of your Williams were the first or only person in their household in September 1939, but they were living in separate ED areas then.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will: