Author Topic: Lost Family Relatvie Great Great Grandfather. Alfred Smith b.1873  (Read 7025 times)

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lost Family Relatvie Great Great Grandfather. Alfred Smith b.1873
« on: Thursday 30 January 14 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I was in search for my great great grandfather Alfred Graham Temple Smith who was born on the 4th March 1873 in Southampton, England. He joined the Royal Navy at the age of 17. He then later got married to a women called Bessie Sophia Salisbury who was originally born in USA-Maine. But her father brought her and her mother back to live in England his home town.

Anyway Alfred and Bessie married on the 5th October 1895 making him 22 years of age when married. She also was 22 years of age.

They had together 5 children, (Bessie already had a child from someone else). The last born child was Raymond in 1914. And he was my great grandfather. He did not know of his real father until the eldest (the step child of Alfred) told Raymond who his real father was. So Raymond must have been young when Alfred left for what ever reason. The story went the Alfred actually went to Canada and started a new life over their but their wasn't much evidence supporting this.

One of Alfred and Bessie's children called Walter Maurice Temple Smith (the last name became double barrelled to make Temple-Smith) had a wife and child and in 1947 they visited Canada. The relation on the boarder crossing is Father Temple-Smith.

I only just found a link that could possible help me track what happened to Alfred as it mentions on his sons boarder crossing that it mentions "Name and Address of relative or friend in country where applicant came from". This is what it says underneath "(Father) Temple-Smith RR 2 Malton Ont Canada"... it also shows an address of 34 Mc Gill St, Toronto, Canada.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me try and find out who lived at that address at that time or what would be the best way for me to find out anyone who lives in Malton under the surname of Temple-Smith and how would I contact them please. I would really appericate any information regarding anything to do with this house or his family or another marriage or even a death record for him.

Thank you very much for you time in reading this.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Family Relatvie Great Great Grandfather. Alfred Smith b.1873
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 February 14 18:37 GMT (UK) »
One address (McGill) is in the heart of Toronto and RR2 Malton is simply a postal delivery address not a physical address.  Malton is the area around and to the north of the Toronto Airport which is now part of the city of Mississauga and in 1947 quite a distance from McGill.  I checked Ancestry and see nothing in the Voters Lists under Temple-Smith and nothing simply under Alfred Smith for either address.  I also checked the 1922 City Directory but with so many A. and Alfred Smith's it is hard to say if he is there or not.  My suggestion is to contact your library and see if the can access a pre 1950 Toronto Telephone Directory or email the Toronto Library for assistance for McGill but you would have to contact the Mississauga Library for Malton.

Good luck

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 February 14 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.

There is only one Temple-Smith listed at this link to the white pages. The location is very close to the Malton area. Contact info is provided. I keyed in the name as above with location Ontario.

http://www.canada411.ca/

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 February 14 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for even looking for me Don, I really, really do appreciate it. Thank you for telling me what RR2 means also as I did not know that.

Thank you very much for telling me this Polarbear. I will be writing to them very soon. I have looked on google and found J. What would be the chances that his individual still lives at this address please?

Or is it possible to try and find this person on the records and look backwards into her family to see who her great grandparents where do you know please?

Kindest Regards
Andrew

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 February 14 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.

The Canada 411 info should be quite current .... it is the phone book service we all use if we use the internet. I would start here. You have a complete home address there to write to.

You should please remove the full name of J from your previous post .... it is against
RootsChat policy to publish the names of people who are or might be still living in order to protect their privacy.

Due to privacy laws it would be very difficult to trace backwards from J. You would be needing to find such things as newspaper announcements of BMDs. With such an unusual surname, you might try googling it with an Ontario location and see what turns up.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 February 14 14:51 GMT (UK) »

Good morning Andrew

I have a very good long distance plan..no cost for calls in North America.. if you would like me to try contacting her on your behalf.

Just let me know what info you want to give her to see if you have a connection.

Tell me where you live and your email address so I can contact you and a mailing address in case she might be a relative.

Lillian
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 February 14 15:07 GMT (UK) »
So the chances of this person still living at this address is quiet high? How do I know it is an upto date record and not an old record, meaning that someone else might have moved into this place. I just checked as you said it could be an apartment which is true, but I have checked and visted the area and actually found the address on Google Map/Street View and it does not look like an apartment because their is a garage underneath the house kinda of. But it still could be a possibility.

I have emailed you a few details regarding why I would like to find this person lily and really would appreciate it if you could do that for me, I have also added my email address for her to contact me back if she has time to if she still lives their. Hopefully I can find out a little bit more information on why he left his family in England.

Thank you all for your help so far and will be in touch very shortly to see if it is her still living at that address when lily has time to contact her. Thank you very much Lily and Polar for your help at the moment, it is very much appreciated! :)
Kind Regards, Andrew

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 March 14 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I have only just got around to dealing with this again, Lilly was kind enough to contact Joyce, who unfortunately had no connection my the person who I am seeking. Is their any way that it is possible to look into the 1921 census (or 1931 if living in Canada and asking to view documentation on the census's) that anyone could look for that road or would that take to long? Ii am honestly stumped for anything, but I have came so far! just really would like to know what happened to him or if he had any family.

Kindest Regards
Andrew

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 May 14 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, just an update, I have manage to get a bit of time spare together again. After getting in touch with someone they manage to get hold and talk to Joyce Temple-Smith herself, but she was not related to anyone called Alfred Temple-Smith, she was actually born in Jamaica from what I remember. It is just coincidental that she is living in the Malton area of Canada where my great great grandfather use to live.

Is their any other way that I might be able to find out about him, is their anyway that records are kept in the local library where they might be able to see who lived in that house at that time/previously or after do you know please?

Kind Regards
Andrew