Author Topic: genetics and you  (Read 735 times)

Offline nenny4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
genetics and you
« on: Tuesday 21 June 05 01:48 BST (UK) »
do any of rootschats. listers look at the illnesses/conditions that their ancestors had I  have come up with. ....Diabetes mellitis.....asthma....angina..dupuytrens contracture(vikings disease) which is sometimes misdiagnosed as arthritis  this is just to name a few and as most of these run through families i have been keeping documentation on all these for my future generations of Australians since i am originally from Scotland and my children would not know about  any of the illnesses to prior family members..cheers nenny4
Marshall / Thaw / Gowan from Livingston and Kirknewton areas West Lothian  Scotland..... Lough Families Clones Ireland and Glasgow Scotland and U.S.A........ Mckenzie /Glencoe Scotland

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: genetics and you
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 16:08 BST (UK) »
It's possible to do a form of family tree chart (there's a proper name for it which escapes me at the moment) to diagram how illnesses appear in a family.  If you've got a lot of information from death certificates etc. it would be worth doing that to show patterns of how genetic traits are passed from one generation to another.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: genetics and you
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Nenny,

For more on this topic, have a look at this topic, too. Its very informative.

THE IMPORTANCE OF YOUR FAMILY'S HEALTH HISTORY
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,45710.0.html

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)