Author Topic: Manor record  (Read 642 times)

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Manor record
« on: Sunday 02 February 14 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Last one from me!  Another admittance to Burton manor for an Alice/Adam Bladon.  Any help please

Helena

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Manor record
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 February 14 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Another admittance to Burton manor for an Alice/Adam Bladon.
This one is puzzling. I can see what looks like Alic(ia) Abladon(?) in the margin, then Burton, then perhaps ...

Alic(ia) mortua est = Alice died
Alic(ia) & Anna vivunt = Alice and Ann are living
(presumably written at different times?)

But I can’t see the name Bladon anywhere in the main body of text on this page.

The entry in the middle of the page relates to William Sharpe, his wife Alice and their daughter Ann. The first five lines on the page refer to an Agnes and Richard, and that entry must start on the previous page. The last section of text on the page relates to Thomas Bonde.  ???

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 February 14 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is a bit strange but the 5 line down there looks to be Bladonlore/Balendon or similer.  I have come across the name spelt Balenone alias Bladon.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 February 14 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is a bit strange but the 5 line down there looks to be Bladonlore/Balendon or similer.  I have come across the name spelt Balenone alias Bladon.
I think the word you are looking at is Brodemeadow, a place name in the William Sharpe entry  :)

ADDED - The Burton parish register transcripts have a number of BLADON/SHARPE marriages around this period. One of them might connect with this entry for Alice Sharpe, which is dated 22 May 1546 (38. Henry VIII).

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 February 14 17:50 GMT (UK) »
I've revised the image which shows more of the entry below as there may have been a line cropped off.  I have the BOT entries for Bladon and there are 2 so maybe Alice was admitted in her own right?

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 February 14 23:56 GMT (UK) »
I may be wrong, but the cut-off point in your revised version looks the same to me as in your previous post.

I don’t think the cut-off at the bottom is relevant anyway, because that entry at the foot of the page doesn’t relate to William Sharpe and Alice. It relates to Thomas Bonde, as I tried to explain in my reply #1 above.

I would suggest that the reference to bladon in the margin near the top (if that is in fact what it says?) might relate to a former or subsequent name for Alice Sharpe. Perhaps she was originally Alice Bladon. Or perhaps, as Alice Sharpe, she went on to marry a Bladon. Maybe you can find a marriage to clarify that?

Offline Helena11a

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 08:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help, a Richard Bladon married an Alice Sharp in 1547 at Burton on Trent St Modwens and days later a William Bladon married Margery Sharp so a suspect a connection between the Richard and William and Alice and Margery!