Author Topic: Robert Mackie Jamaica, Forres,Toronto  (Read 4836 times)

Offline HBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Robert Mackie Jamaica, Forres,Toronto
« on: Friday 07 February 14 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Robert (Roy) Mackie was born in Jamaica 1808, went to Forres Scotland, home of his father William Mackie.  Family document tells that he went to Canada.
It is thought that he married Angeline Gilbert in Toronto in 1838.
I have no further information about Robert.
Is someone able to look up this marriage record please?  It may confirm the names of his parents?

HBelle
Melbourne

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Mackie Jamaica, Forres,Toronto
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 February 14 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Some one has a record for him dying on 10/3/1848 in Clinton Iowa married to Angeline Gilbert in Canada 1838 they have his parent's as William Mackie AND Helen Darlington

Offline HBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 February 14 03:13 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Rosie17 for your prompt reply to my query.  Much appreciated.
Although I know Robert Mackie's father's name (William Mackie), I didn't include his mother's name, which I think was Ann Baker Herron, as I thought it could be inaccurate.  It is possible that his parents didn't marry, in Jamaica.  Therefore I am trying to explore any possibilities about his identity and his family in North America.

Helen

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 February 14 05:50 GMT (UK) »
The Marriage Notices of Ontario 1813-1854 database at Ancestry has the following entry:

24 Nov 1838: In Bowmanville, on 15th inst., Robert Roy Mackie of Yarmouth, London District to Angeline H. Gilbert, of Darlington. (Rev. T.S. Kennedy)

There are no further details unfortunately.

I noticed on the family trees that none of them have a source regarding Robert's death. I believe I have found Angeline and children in Geauga County, Ohio on the 1850 and 1860 US census so I would suspect it more likely Robert died there than in Iowa.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 February 14 13:11 GMT (UK) »
On the census Records U S Angeline is with her daughter and son in law and it says her mother born Canada and father Scotland  A few trees have his birth down as 11/2/1813 Scotland

Offline HBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 February 14 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Jacquie in Canada and rosie17
There appears to be two named Robert Roy Mackie!
Their fathers had the same names - William Mackie.
  The mothers' names differed - his mother (in my search) was Ann Baker Herron I believe.
The middle name ROY in my search is from a family surname.  A family member, Elspet ROY, stated that Robert went to America.  He was born 1808 in Jamaica, later lived in Forres Scotland for a whil, before going to America/Canada.

The "other' Robert Roy Mackie was born in 1813 in Scotland, same father, mother was Helen Darlington.
So...which one married Angelina Gilbert of Darlington in Toronto, I wonder.
I am missing a clue somewhere!

HBelle

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 February 14 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi a tree on Ancestry has Robert born Jamaica with parent's William Mackie who they have a death for in 24/12/1818 at Forres he married Elspet Roy 1805  children listed Jane 1807, William 1806 he died Australia 1889 Anne Bolton 1814 all born Jamaica  ...Also a record on Ancestry for Robert Mackie ( negro ) returns of slaves parish of Saint George  in the possession of Ann Baker Herring as the natural guardian of Robert Mackie a free muster 1817

Offline Loloma

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 November 14 21:19 GMT (UK) »
I have a William Mackie married to Elspet Roy with children William (b 1806 Jamaica d 1889 Oberon Australia m Anne Grey Gibb - my tree), Robert, Jane Bolton Mackie, and Anne Bolton Mackie (b 1814 Jamaica d 1884, Bolton Cottage Forres Scotland, m Charles Kay).

From what I understand William Mackie snr went to Jamaica in 1790 and owned a sugar plantation, returned to Scotland 1818 and lived at Boyne house. Became interested in Australian shipping company Leith and Edinburgh but appears to have died and his son William was left with the idea of travelling to Australia with the shipping company.   I am interested in anything to do with the Jamaican story. 

I have no further information on Robert other than to say that the name Robert is strongly used in my family's tree, Robert Mackie b 1833 son of William and Anne Grey Gibb, had a brother Thomas Icely (b1836).  My son descends from Thomas Icely - Icely Gordon (known as Jack), Robert Bruce, Robert Gordon and Jack Icely Robert.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 November 14 15:54 GMT (UK) »