Author Topic: Not in census  (Read 1241 times)

Offline damienb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Not in census
« on: Tuesday 21 June 05 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
First posting so bear with me. Researching my wife's tree at the moment and I've hit a bit of brick wall. Problem I have is this (information from her marriage certificate).

She appears to have been born before the parents were married.
Several other children followed
Wife died
He remarried and had 2 more children

My problem is that, based on marriage certificate, she was born in 1880 but I can find no trace of her in any of the records before that - no trace at all. No trace of the other children of the first wife either. Possibly family were abroad but I can find no trace - any suggestions.

damien

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Not in census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Damien

Welcome to Rootschat

Probably the best advice I can give is to post all what you know ie. names/dates/places etc. ................. then we can have a good scout around to see if we can come up with anything ......... or not as the case may be but I certainly hope so.

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline damienb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 14:18 BST (UK) »
More details
Ada Ullathorne, aged 20, married John James Hughes, aged 25, on 23/12/1900. This indicates that Ada was born in 1880.
Fathers listed as John Hughes, railway porter, and William Ullathorne, dock labourer. Married in Liverpool.

Working back from this tying in dates, locations and occupations (also have information from other Ullathornes) I now have:
William Ullathorne married Ann Margaret Shallcross in 1881 (after Ada was born?). Other children – Emma (c1881), Christopher (c1885), William (c1887), Alfred (c1892) and Jesse (c1895). Ann died in 1897.
William re-married (Mary Jones) and had 2 more children – twins Edwin and Alfred (n1903). I have details of the twins line up to today but nothing on Ann’s children.

Conceivably Ada was missed off the 1881 census (where could she have been?) and she was married by the 1901 census but I’ve found nothing on birth etc. Some Lancashire BDMs are online and I can only assume her record(s) haven’t made it yet. Emma could have been married by 1901 but, again, no other records. And nothing so far for the boys. Maybe just not looking in the right places and need to do a proper ‘physical’ search in Liverpool when I’m next over in England.

Offline SueTeakle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 14:40 BST (UK) »
Found on the 1891 census, wrongly transcribed as Ullathork:-

William Ullathorne, 31, Dock Labourer, Born Liverpool
Margaret Ullathorne, 31, Born Liverpool
Emma Ullathorne, 10, Born Liverpool
Ada Ullathorne, 8, Born Liverpool
Christopher Ullathorne, 6, Born Liverpool
William Ullathorne, 3, Born Liverpool
Alfred Ullathorne, 10 months, Born Liverpool

Living at 38, Spurgeon Street, Everton, Liverpool.    RG12/2947

Regards, Sue
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 14:46 BST (UK) »
A possible  ???

Ada ULLATBORNE birth registered March quarter 1883 West Derby registration district 8b 351

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

Casalguidi

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 14:52 BST (UK) »
Just in case you don't have this ...........

17 Danby Street, Everton (St Benedict), Lancashire

William ULLATHORNE head wid 41 dock porter b.Liverpool
Emma dau 20 b.Liverpool
Christopher son 17 jobber's labourer b.Liverpool
Willie son 15 shop/ship? errand boy b.Liverpool
Jessie dau 7 b.Liverpool

RG13/3483 folio 102 page 36

Casalguidi

Offline damienb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 15:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sue,
Tried one L and without the E - didn't think of Ullathork :)

Don't know what I typed in wrong not to get the 1901 information :( 

Raises an interesting point however. Information seems to point that she was born in 1883 but her age is given as 20 on her marriage certificate. Would there have been a reason for lying. Real age would have been 17 - was there any age limit on getting married then?

I've been doing my own tree for a while and I've got back about as far as records will allow in Ireland. Started on my wife's as there was a family story that Ada had an uncle who was a bishop and that she was disowned when she married 'out of the faith'. I've found the bishop (gt-uncle) but no indication of the rest of the story yet.

All interesting stuff. Personally I find half the fun is finding out about what they did, where they lived etc. I have a friend who treats it all a bit like train-spotting only it's name/dates being collected :-)

Thanks again

Offline damienb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 15:53 BST (UK) »
Possible confirmation - just checked out the church where Ada was married and it's St George's, Everton which is
C of E so, assuming the Ullathornes were still Catholic that would imply she did 'marry out' as the phrase goes.

Progess :)

Damien