Author Topic: travellers in crowborough e. sussex.  (Read 5476 times)

Offline espanol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
travellers in crowborough e. sussex.
« on: Sunday 09 February 14 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Would appreciate any information regarding the smith and fuller families in crowborough please. Any history of the families or stories.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: travellers in crowborough e. sussex.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 February 14 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi

No timescale given or christian names/birthyears/birthplaces etc

With a name like Smith - you will need to give more info.  The 1911 census has 135 entries for that surname in Crowborough.  Which family are you researching

Fuller - only 16 entries but which family are you researching?

1911 lookups are not allowed on Rootschat because of copyright issues so if your particular Smith & Fuller families were in Sussex in 1911 you would have to look them up yourself to get their details
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline espanol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 22:33 GMT (UK) »
The smith family were Emanuel or Mick smith who married Amy fuller. His  brother was absolm or apsy.
They lived tthere in the late 30s but tell family were there before then. It would be nice to hear news about them

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 February 14 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Elizabeth Fuller "Pedlar Hawker" age 43 with son's Nelson/Horace/William/Mark/James and George and daughters Kate/Annie and Elizabeth living at Lewes,Sussex on the 1901 census,

William Fuller "Head Huckster" age 32 and wife Clara son's Albert and Alfred and daughter Agnes living at Hoathly,sussex also from the 1901 census.

Francis Smith 50 Head Hawker
Absolam Smith 28 Horse Dealer and wife Lily
Job Smith 25 Head Hawker and wife Mary
John son 24 Farm Labourer
Esther daughter 16
Elizabeth daughter 13
Noak brother in law 12
Walter son 5
Polly daughter 3
Frances daughter 2

all living at Merton Cottage Rotherfield Sussex again taken from the 1901 census if it's any help.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline sage0113

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 January 16 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi my grandad johnnie fuller was born in a field alder road javis brook Crowborough. he was the son of Fredrick fuller and patience fuller 'nee Wenham. they had at least 9 children those that I know servived to adulthood are johnnie ,charley,patience, lou ,jane ,and may. there was also matthew, lome and fred.  my grandad jack use to tells us about sleeping under the vardo as a boy and that his father was a horse dealer, some of the family are in kent horsemans dene where they used to have markets and granddad would help his father take the horses there to sell.

There was also a cousin named apsy who lived in holmwood
 near dorking and sold antiques.

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 January 16 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Nice story, I have a distant Fuller early 1700's Cambridge, not sure of their original county origin but by the 1800's they were considered as a London Gypsy Tribe and only roamed around the south of the country, a little like the Scamp's who are considered to be Kentish Gypsies but they did originate from Somerset, some of are ancestors are easy to find others hard, so snip its from the past are very useful and nice when they are shared with others, A Happy New Year to you.
ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline Billstacey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 12:23 BST (UK) »
joby smith, fanny smith, genty smith, john/jack smith was my uncles children. fred smith he was married to a lily Wenham but she died I believe in child birth or not long after. (fred Trot) they lived at palesgate, fred later married my grandads sister rose hall, and had a further 6 boys Teddy, billy, Alfie, tommy George, henry and one girl rose (sissy), they are all buried in the crowborogh cemetery.
We have many photos of the yard and ground at Palesgate, old fred had a brother jack who married Minnie dodderson, they had I believe 3 children, Alfie, George and not sure of the other one. Minnie and jack moved to Maidstone.
fred and rose ended up in Tunbridge wells. 

Offline RossGillbanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi my grandad johnnie fuller was born in a field alder road javis brook Crowborough. he was the son of Fredrick fuller and patience fuller 'nee Wenham. they had at least 9 children those that I know servived to adulthood are johnnie ,charley,patience, lou ,jane ,and may. there was also matthew, lome and fred.  my grandad jack use to tells us about sleeping under the vardo as a boy and that his father was a horse dealer, some of the family are in kent horsemans dene where they used to have markets and granddad would help his father take the horses there to sell.

There was also a cousin named apsy who lived in holmwood
 near dorking and sold antiques.

I suspect Alder Road is what is now known as Alderbrook Close or Alderbrook way