Author Topic: 1861 Census - Ontario - Completed When, Please?  (Read 4087 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
1861 Census - Ontario - Completed When, Please?
« on: Wednesday 12 February 14 23:39 GMT (UK) »
I understand that the "Canada West" census was officially started on January 14, 1861.  Is there any way to find out when it was completed, please?  I am interested in the census for Etobicoke, Ontario.  (I'm hoping that it was completed prior to July 31, 1861.)  Thank you, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 Census - Ontario - Completed When, Please?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 February 14 00:44 GMT (UK) »

1861 Canadian census was taken Canada East and Canada West Jan 14 1861

Nova Scotia March 30 1861

New Brunswick Aug 15 1861

This info from Library and Archives Canada

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 February 14 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lilybell:

Thank you for your help.  :) I am actually wondering if anyone might know when it was completed, please?  I believe I found my ancestor's sibling's burial, but he was buried at the end of July, 1861.  So, if the census (which he was on) was completed after July, then the burial isn't for him.  (I hope that makes sense.)   :-\  Thank you for your reply, Lilybell; it is appreciated.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 February 14 01:26 GMT (UK) »

Hi Lisa

Is it safe to assume that the census was taken on the day I posted in my previous email.

Now I am sure some Rootschatter will correct me If I am wrong.

Could be the census taker might of had to go back if someone was not home...do not know how long they had to  complete the census. Will check around

Lilybell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 February 14 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lilybell:

I didn't realize that it (most likely) would have been completed in one day!

I've been trying to find solid proof that a family on the 1851 census is "my" family from the 1861 census (childrens' ages are off and some of the children from 1851 were not living with their parents in 1861).  Knowing that there is the possibility that the youth mentioned in the 1861 census could have died in July 1861, adds more proof that the families are the same.  Again, I hope that makes sense.  (It's been a long day.)  :-\

Thank you again, Lilybell.

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 February 14 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

This bit of info from Library and Archives Canada.

The previous dates I posted were the official enumeration dates for the various census returns.

Actual enumeration of the population took weeks or months.
The 1851 census was actually taken in 1852 I believe.

Lilybell

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 February 14 04:57 GMT (UK) »
http://www.prdh.umontreal.ca/census/en/uguide/enum_1861.aspx
Instructions for enumerators 1861 census. 

From this excerpt you would think that since the enumerator's pay was based on completion of the census and the number of people enumerated it would be important to fufill the task as quickly as possible.  This example seemed to have taken approx. one month
http://www.morinheightshistory.org/census/1861info.html

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 February 14 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi cosmac:

Thank you very much for the links.  The link for the instructions was especially interesting.

Lilybell, I had forgotten about the 1851 Canada West census being started in 1852.  The following link explains a bit:
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1851/Pages/about-census.aspx
Thank you for the reminder; that does help a wee bit with the age differences.

This family has been difficult to "follow".   The spelling of the surname varies; the childrens' places of birth varies from document to document; no males (that I've been able to find) lived into adulthood; and while four of the daughters are living with their widowed mother in 1871, I cannot find the other four daughters in 1871 (two of them are on the 1891 census and we believe the other two died in the last 1870's so they should have been on the 1871 census).

Thank you both very much for your guidance.  It is appreciated.

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 February 14 16:52 GMT (UK) »

Hi Lisa
Here is a website which does a good job of explaining census records.Helps with why folks might have trouble finding a ancestor.
Ontario GenWeb Project:Census Records-Rootsweb
www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~canon/research-topic-census.html

Lilybell :) :)