Author Topic: Brother claiming brother - 1st WW  (Read 2028 times)

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brother claiming brother - 1st WW
« on: Friday 14 February 14 19:04 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather Francis Fear from Weston-Super-Mare fought during the 1st World War. I was told that 'brother could claim brother,' Francis had two brothers, Albert & Ernie who also fought. However when searching for Ernie's war records, I was told that they had been destroyed during the 2nd WW.
 I have a copy of Ernie's war diary, where he mentions a secret mission to blow up a bridge in monastir, however there are two, one in Yugoslavia & the other in Tunisia.
He was awarded a medal after this mission. 
Is it possible to find out more about Ernie's regiment and where they fought, even though his army records are destroyed. Can anyone help? Regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Brother claiming brother - 1st WW
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 February 14 20:18 GMT (UK) »
hi trish
you could have a look in the London gazette to see if he,s mentioned there regarding his medal and citation , also if you post his regiment name someone on here will no doubt be able to tell you more , or you can go to 1914-1918 the long long trail site or try the great war forum site as well .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline 'Trish'

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 February 14 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your quick reply. I will take a look on line, however I don't have his army record or regiment. Regards Trish
Fear, Puddy, Bunn, Hemsbury - Wedmore Somerset.  Watts - Romsey Hants, Frome Somerset, Warminster Wilts & Wokingham Berkshire.  Roberts - Newport, Stone Glos, Austin - Monmouth. Dix or Dicks - Frome. Pugh - Llanbrynmair, Trevithin & Tafolwern

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 February 14 21:35 GMT (UK) »
hi,,is Ernie his full name?  does he have a middle name ?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline apwright

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 February 14 23:27 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of Ernie's war diary, where he mentions a secret mission to blow up a bridge in monastir, however there are two, one in Yugoslavia & the other in Tunisia.
Of the two you're thinking of, only the Monastir in Yugoslavia (then Serbia, now FYROM) saw fighting in WW1. But the British army didn't fight there. That part of the line was held by French, Serbian, Italian, Russian and Greek troops - the Brits were always east of the Vardar river. However, there were a couple of smaller places in northern Greece near the British lines that were also called Monastir - or at least so labelled on the maps of the time... any place with a monastery, basically! If you could give us any other placenames mentioned, it might help to find the right area at least.

Adrian