Author Topic: Yeomans USA lookups 1890/1900 censi  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Geoff of Devon

• I have turned off notifications of new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Yeomans USA lookups 1890/1900 censi
« on: Wednesday 14 July 04 13:54 BST (UK) »
 ;D Does anyone please have access to passenger lists or American censi (other than 1880)?

My gg-grandfather Joseph Yeomans made several business trips to the USA between 1860 and 1910 to install glass and Fresnel lens systems in lighthouses in Northern America (and Canada?) and possibly the great lakes. Joseph worked as a glass flattener for Chance Brothers who were taken over by Pilkington Glass after WW2. He was born in Quinton, Oldbury, Worcester/Shropshire in about 1834. Joseph's wife was my gg-grandmother Ann Fox b~1836 in Oldbury, Shropshire/Staffordshire/Worcester.

It seems that he was not a true emmigrant to USA as he returned to the UK and is certainly in all UK censi between 1861 and 1901. He must therefore have made trips in between, certainly at least one 1871/3 as a daughter Eliza Yeomans was born in Lanesborough, Berkshire, Massachusetts in 1873.

His son William Yeomans, however, settled in America. He is thought to have returned to the UK occasionally both to visit his family and for business as he was also a glass flattener. William was born ~1855 in Oldbury, Worcester and was already married to Annie Hewitt (b~1855)  before emigrating. Once out there they had children Sarah, Lucy, Eliza and Annie all born in Lanesborough, Berkshire, Massachusetts. They can all be found there in the 1880 census. I would be most interested to find out any more details on any of these people who are cousins of my grandmother, who is still alive.

Glad of any help or suggestions,
Geoff.
All lookups are crown copyright

Offline Hoka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Yeomans USA lookups 1890/1900 censi
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 July 04 21:50 BST (UK) »
There is no 1890 census for the US, it was destroyed in a fire.

There is one William Yeomans in 1900 Census born in UK, he was born in May 1836.

Hoka.

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Yeomans USA lookups 1890/1900 censi
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 August 05 11:42 BST (UK) »
Geoff,  are you still interested in William Yeoman(s)?  I have found him in the 1900-1920 census.  I await your reply--Genealiza