Author Topic: SARAH ANN HOLMES  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Royaly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SARAH ANN HOLMES
« on: Saturday 15 February 14 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Looking for any information on SARAH ANN HOLMES born between 1823 and 1831 (various later census returns) in LEWES SUSSEX daughter of WILLIAM HOLMES and CATHERINE? Also any information on the marriage of WILLIAM HOLMES and CATHERINE? possibly before 1823.

Cheers,

Royaly
ROYAL, GATHERCOLE, NORTON, JOHNSON.  WEETING AND BRANDON AREAS

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SARAH ANN HOLMES
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 February 14 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Royaly

Welcome to RootsChat :)

Sarah Ann Holmes was baptised in Lewes on the 1st Feb 1824,daughter of William and Catherine.

It appears William was a Corporal in the 1st Grenadier Guards at the time.

There is no marriage for William & Catherine transcribed on the Sussex Marriage Index,sorry
Will need to look further afield

Kind regards

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 February 14 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Not sure if this is the right family Sarah Holmes married to 1846 John Airey and born 1824 Lewes?
ParentsWilliam Holmes married Catherine Jackson 11.4.1820 Appleby Westmoreland.
Catherine died  25.11.1874 widow of Kendal left under £100.Ex.John Blythe of Far Cross Bank Kendal grocer.
She was born 1801 London and William was born at Butterton Stafforshire in 1783.(dates from 1851 census Kendal .William ag lab and grandson William Holmes born Kendal age 3 with them).
It looks like he died in Mar 1860 Kendal 10b 433.
William was a Royal chelsea Hospital pensioner who served in the Ist foot Guards.20.6.1827 he got a pension for long service of 27 1/2years.He had been a weaver and served in Canada.

Catherine seems to have been born 3.7.1801 to James Jackson and his wife Christian nee Reid d of William and Margaret Reid.The whole family is registered together as non-conformists Dr williams Library.Other children William born 28.10.1790 Orange St St Clement Danes,Andrew 13.8.1792,John Ried 18.101.1793,and Samuel Brown 5.2.1797.Midwife Catherin elizabeth Barr.By the time they were registered in 1813 Christian Jackson was the only surviving witness.Catherine was baptised at the Scotch church in wells St St Clement danes 26.7.1801.James was a tailor from St Clement Danes.Her parents married 30.9.1788 St Martins in the Fields.
Hope I've got the right ones
Ciderdrinker

Offline Royaly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 February 14 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Omega,

Thank you so much for this information. I am assuming that the baptism information is from the Parish records for Lewes and that is where the occupation for the father William comes from. Can you confirm this?

It also appears that Ciderdrinker has found some very interesting information for me and a big thank you goes out to you too.
It certainly is the correct family as daughter Sarah (Ann) Holmes does indeed marry John Airey in Kendal in 1846. I did have the 1851 census information as well as the 1841 census for the family. However the information regarding the death of Catherine Holmes comes as an extra!
Where did you find the information regarding William being a  Royal chelsea Hospital pensioner who served in the Ist foot Guards.20.6.1827 he got a pension for long service of 27 1/2years.He had been a weaver and served in Canada? It all fits in well with the information from Omega but I do like to record the source of all information if possible.

The marriage of William Holmes to Catherine Jackson in Appleby Westmoreland on 11.04.1820 does seem to fit location and time wise but I am not convinced until I can find another link through the maiden name of Jackson to William Holmes.

Again a very big thank you to you both and could you please provide your sources if possible.

Cheers,

Royaly
ROYAL, GATHERCOLE, NORTON, JOHNSON.  WEETING AND BRANDON AREAS

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 February 14 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Royaly

My source of info came from Sussex Family History Group database ( members only ).
The Sussex Marriage Index,pre 1837,came from the CD I have.

What a lovely find from Ciderdrinker.     Would that be Scrumpy ? ;D

Kind regards

omega

Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 February 14 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi
A little early as yet but first scrumpy of the morning on it's way.
That record of William's military history is From the Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Registers of those Soldiers who served in Canada 1743-1882,National Archies Wo 120 piece 22.
(if you have a sub for Ancestry it's on there).
There's probably more on FindMyPast but the index has no dates or places of birth for the William Holmes listed and there's tons of them.
The details of Catherine's death come for her Probate of 1874 ,you can get the full details for £6.
All the best
Ciderdrinker