Author Topic: 1871 census help please.  (Read 3253 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
1871 census help please.
« on: Saturday 15 February 14 17:39 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find where my great grandfather was in 1871. I have him on all other census apart from this one. He has always lived in Arundel West Sussex.

He is William Charles Redman born 1845 Arundel West Sussex. Died 1930 in Fontwell few mile out of Arundel.

It is possible he was maybe in the army somewhere. He married in 1879 in Arundel. In 1881 he lived with step-father in Arundel and in 1891 had his own home in Arundel. He served in the Royal Sussex Regiment not sure when and where and then in 1885 was in 2nd Sussex Rifle Volunteers.

Just want to know where he was in 1871 maybe he was with his step-father but was away when census was taken, but wouldn't step father have said if he was actually living there? Sorry don't know the rules for census.

Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 census help please.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 February 14 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Just want to know where he was in 1871 maybe he was with his step-father but was away when census was taken, but wouldn't step father have said if he was actually living there? Sorry don't know the rules for census.

His step father wouldn't have included him as you were only supposed to put those who were actually in the house on census night. So if he was elsewhere, he would have been included on that household's return.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 February 14 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks groom. Thought that might be the case. So basically he could have still lived there but was out when census taken. Bummer! I will opt for believing he did live with step-father. Unless someone finds him elsewhere.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 February 14 20:12 GMT (UK) »
That is the problem with the census, it is only a snapshot of where a person was on that particular night. So William may have been staying with someone who didn't enter him on their form, he may be entered but under their name by mistake or he could be in the army.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 February 14 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks groom, think you have helped me before.

As you say the census is very hit and miss, but I am very happy with what I have on him. In fact same goes for all my Redmans they all stayed in Arundel, including me!! Makes research a lot easier.

Cheers Jane

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 February 14 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Possible explanation?

If he happened to be visiting or staying in the River Road area of Littlehampton in 1871 then he won't appear in any census searches as the enumerator for the district that included most of River Road and all the side turnings off it - there were several all heavily populated - failed to complete the area described on the first page of that district book.  Littlehampton is of course just down the road/River Arun from Arundel.  I discovered this omission when researching who was running the beer shops/inns/pubs/hotels in Littlehampton through the ages - the enumerator started in his home street - High Street - and continued into Surrey Street then into what was River Road but he called it Surrey Street as far as the first pub there, the Ship and Anchor.  By this time he had visited five pubs so possibly was 'too tired' to continue.   ;D  From preceding and succeeding censuses I reckon there were some 200 or so people not recorded.  He missed a further five drinking establishments so maybe couldn't face the 'on the house' drinks there on top of what he'd probably already consumed.  :-\  The missed area does not appear in any of the other district books for Littlehampton.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 February 14 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you artifis. A lovely explanation. Can't see why he could be in littlehampton, wife to be came from Petworth. Perhaps he was up to no good!!! But who knows. Coincidentally his son my grandfather, married a littlehampton lass. But obviously they were not born in 1871. I was born in Arundel  and now live in Littlehampton. I think I will go with him living in Arundel in 1871 and just being else where when census was taken!

Cheers Jane

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 February 14 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

There were a lot of boarding and lodging houses in the area missed, some in River Road and lots in the side turnings such as Hampton Place, something you'd expect considering how busy the river area was with shipping.  It could therefore be that perhaps he was visiting friends, looking for work - do you know if he had a trade that could be utilised in ship building/repair as there were several such yards there - as well as sampling the various local brews. 

Seeing that he later joined the forces it would be interesting if it could be determined that there was a recruiting exercise going on in the area at the time - don't think that would be possible except looking in local papers of the time, Littlehampton Library have some such on micro film I understand.  The census date was 2nd April that year.  Might be worth a look or to see if there was any other event going on at the time that might have caused him to be in Littlehampton that night, fair etc.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 February 14 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi artifis.

I doubt he would be looking for work.  He was indentured as a Cordwainer to a Bootmaker in Arundel and eventually, opened his own premises in Tarrant Street Arundel.  The family were quite well heeled!! - sorry that is a terrible pun! So I don't think he would be looking for work in Littlehampton. But he could have had friends there. And it is a possibility he was enlisting.

Have been looking into his Army Career and hold a couple of Documents with Army Numbers but it is still a work in progress.  He may well have been away training or fighting in 1871.

Knowing my Redmans as I do (they never strayed far from Arundel)  I still think he lived with Step father in Arundel between 1871 and 1881 but was absent on census day.  I think it would be a good idea to now focus on his Army Career.

The problem I have with my research is that I work full time and weekends are taken up with boring housework etc.  I have very little time to spare to visit various record offices which I know would help, also many are closed at weekends. Thats I why I ask so many questions on these Forum Boards.  I cant get over how helpful everyone  is it is really appreciated.

Once again thanks for input and taking time to talk to me.

Cheers Jane