Author Topic: William Carr b. May 1860 - Blackburn  (Read 2191 times)

Offline nobscot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Carr b. May 1860 - Blackburn
« on: Saturday 15 February 14 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Chasing my tail trying to find out what happen to William Carr b. 1860 in Blackburn to
Thomas Carr b. 1835 in Clitheroe and Ann Ralph b. 1835 in Yorkshire.  They are found on
Randle St. in the 1861 Census.  William is a cotton piecer at age 11 in 1871 on Addison St.
in Blackburn.  The 1881 census shows William Carr at the Colchester St. Botolophs Infantry
Camp.  His family is at 7 Cutler St. in Blackburn.  The Family is now his Father, Thomas and
his 3rd wife Jane Green Carr of Haslingden and brothers Thomas of Blackburn, James of
Haslingden and Walter of Withnell.
          William Carr is enlisted for 12 years in the 34th. Brigade.   6 years active and 6 years
reserve.  He is in India near Jullunder from Dec 1881 to Jan 1887.  William is then Army Clan
Reserve till his discharge as a Private in 1892.   He is not found in the 1891 census and neither
can I find the Carr Family.
           William Carr is not with the Carr Family when they arrive in Boston, Massachusetts on
board the r.m.s. Cephalonia in April of 1893.
            I don't think that William ever married but if so it would be after his return from India
in 1887.  There is no indication that he came to Massachusetts.
            The 1901 Census shows a William Carr born 1860 in Blackburn and single working at
Heysham, Dawson City, A. Hut, Klondyke and then the 1911 Census shows a William Carr born
1860 in Blackburn and single as a inmate at the Blackburn Workhouse.  I think that he might
be my missing  Grand Uncle.
             Any help would be appreciated as to what happened to William Carr of Blackburn.
Thanks,

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Carr b. May 1860 - Blackburn
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 February 14 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nobscot and welcome to Rootschat
www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
Carr
mothers maiden name Ralph
1860 William Carr
1863 Mary Agnes Carr
a sister you may have missed...
ADDED
1864 Carr Mary Agnes aged 1 ............same site under Deaths
also in Deaths is the record below
1924  CARR William ...aged 64 ....Blackburn South Eastern .....Blackburn BSE/27/74
 this age and location fits your William Carr b 1860 Blackburn - it might confirm that William came back to Blackburn re  1911 census William Carr b 1860  in the Workhouse .... the only way to confirm this is by buying the death cert - costly if it is not your William Carr though ???
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline nobscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 February 14 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks garstonite:
                              I too thought the same I did order the death certificate for William Carr
of Blackburn d. 1924 several months ago.  The wrong William Carr.
      My G.Grandfather Thomas b. 1835 Clitheroe had an older brother William Ashton Carr
who was b. 1832 Clitheroe, who married Esther Eddlestone in 1854.  They also had a son
William b. abt. 1860 in Blackburn.  He married a Mary Smith in Blackburn in 1884. They
had a daughter Susannah Carr, 8 yrs. old in the 1901 census and an older daughter Maria Smith
age 18 on the 1901 census. William d. 1924 was an iron foundry labourer.
      My Uncle William Carr b. 1860 was in India in 1884.     I did not know of a daughter Mary Agnes.    So many with the same name...I am the 4th. Thomas in a row.  Thanks for the Reply.

Offline nobscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 February 14 20:09 GMT (UK) »
re: William Carr b. 1860 Blackburn:        I should have added that William listed his trade as Spinner
when he enlisted in the 34th Brigade.  Also his Grand Father was James Carr b. 1811 in Giggleswick.
James was listed in the 1871 Census at 34 Blackwater St. in Blackburn as a Cotton Mill Manager.
 Did the William Carr b. 1860 who is listed as an inmate at the Blackburn Workhouse in the 1911 census
die at that location ?    Would be interesting to know the name of the Cotton Mill in 1871 where James
Carr was the Manager.     Thanks for reading.  Any help appreciated.       nobscot