Author Topic: Adoption in Wales  (Read 514 times)

Offline hamali

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adoption in Wales
« on: Monday 24 February 14 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.

I wonder if anybody can help my friend was adopted back in 1976 now he has found out  his real mother gave him a name and on find my past he can see the entry  with the vol & page number but when he goes to order birth cert it wont let him as does not know mother 1st name. But I have just looked and underneath is this one is Adoption Certificate (England & Wales)A birth certificate in the post adoption name.  So we was just wondering would this one give him his real mothers name or is this his adopted parents info on it if we ordered that cert.

Hope that makes sense  :) Ali

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption in Wales
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 February 14 12:06 GMT (UK) »
The adoption certificate will not give any details of the birth parents, unfortunately.  As you say, knowledge of the mother's name is a requirement for ordering a birth certificate as recent as this.

Here is the current Government information including a form for access to birth records by adopted people.  This does not require prior knowledge of the mother's name.

www.gov.uk/adoption-records

A person adopted in 1976 is not subject to the requirement for counselling prior to the release of birth information, which applied to adoptions before 12 November 1975.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline hamali

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption in Wales
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 February 14 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that I will look into that Thanks Ali  ;D