Author Topic: Methlick blacksmith's accounts (1873-78)  (Read 4107 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Methlick blacksmith's accounts (1873-78)
« on: Monday 24 February 14 23:04 GMT (UK) »
I have the blacksmith's accounts (1873-78) for the following people from Methlick:

Earl of Aberdeen; F. Andrew, Brainjohn;  J. Annand, Brainjohn; T. Annand, Brainjohn; W. Black, Flinthills; G. Cheyne, Monlettie; W. Cheyne, Castlehill; J. Davidson, Monlettie; A. Duncan (vet), Methlick; W. Duthie, Collinie; C. Florence, Scotston; P. Florence, Arneybogs; F. Godsman, Mill of Kelly; J. Grant, Methlick; Mrs. Gray, Flinthills; G. Hay, Gowanwell; G. Hutcheon, Sauchentree; Dr. Irvine, Mill of Ardo; G. Kirkton, Longhill; L. Lamb, Crimondhill; Dr. Ligertwood, Auchencrieve; J. Maitland, Little Methlick; L. Marshall, Polesburn; T. Marshall, Arneybogs; Mr./Rev. Mennie; J. Simpson, Sauchentree; Rev. R. Slessor, Methlick; A. Smith, Methlick; J. Stephen, Methlick; Rev. Dr. Whyte, Methlick.

The jobs vary from sharpening ploughs and shoeing horses to singeing sheep's heads (2d a time) and putting new metal tyres on a pram. Let me know if you have an ancestor amongst these customers.

Offline nikkid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Methlick blacksmith's accounts (1873-78)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 June 16 23:46 BST (UK) »
I believe that G Hutcheon at Sauchentree is my great great grandfather so would be interested in seeing your information.  Interestingly one of his children had a middle name of Ligertwood so I'm now wondering the story around that as he seems to be a doctor from what you are saying.
Matthews/Hutcheon/Strachan - Methlick & Aberdeen
Bisset - Aberdeen
Dickie/Taylor/Brown & Miles - Ayrshire, Glasgow & Airdrie areas

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 June 16 06:37 BST (UK) »
Hi. I have just checked and there are eight pages in total of accounts for George. They cover the entire period. It is not unusual for children to be called after the local doctor, so that may well account for the name.

I am just off to work, but will get back to you when I return. I'll try to photocopy the pages today.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 June 16 17:44 BST (UK) »
Attached is the top part of the first entry as an example. There are several abbreviations used e.g. shpd = sharpened, remd = remade.

Offline nikkid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 June 16 21:41 BST (UK) »
That is really interesting, gives you a picture of farming life right enough, I would appreciate it if I could see all 8 pages. I would like to share them with my aunt who is 80 & has given me my interest in family history!  Also of interest George's future son in law was a blacksmith! Thank you for sharing with me
Matthews/Hutcheon/Strachan - Methlick & Aberdeen
Bisset - Aberdeen
Dickie/Taylor/Brown & Miles - Ayrshire, Glasgow & Airdrie areas

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 June 16 21:56 BST (UK) »
I have sent you a personal message so I can get copies of the pages to you.

There is a stone in the kirkyard at Methlick with the following inscription, although you probably have it already.

In loving memory of George Hutcheon Sauchentree d. 9 April 1916 aged 85, his wife Anne Mann d. 21 August 1914 aged 73.