Author Topic: Joseph Stafford & Mary Jane McGennis and Armstrong Surname  (Read 4738 times)

Offline Palform

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jack at the bottom of a very tall beanstalk
    • View Profile
Joseph Stafford & Mary Jane McGennis and Armstrong Surname
« on: Tuesday 25 February 14 22:32 GMT (UK) »
My 2 x great grandfather, Joseph Stafford was born c.1830 Donegal, Ireland. He married Mary Jane McGennis on 16 Jan 1849.

The family moved to Consett, Co Durham during the mid 1850s. Mary Jane's two proven brothers also moved to Consett. However their surnames were Armstrong. Mary Jane was born c.1833 and her next younger brother, Robert John was born c.1834. The years being calculated from the ages given on the census returns.

My query is the different surnames. Mary Jane's father was John McGennis. Did he die and his widow marry a Mr. Armstrong between the births of Mary Jane and Robert John? Mary Jane's surname is Armstrong on her children's birth certificate who born in Consett.

Any guidance will be appreciated.
Co Durham: Auckland St Helen, Bedburn, Bishop Middleham, Castleside, Consett, Dipton, Durham City, Elwick, Heworth, Hexham, Holwick, Iveston, Lanchester, Merrington, Middleton in Teesdale, Romaldirk, Stanhope, Witton Gilbert, Tanfield, West Auckland, Witton le Wear
Northumberland: Allendale, Corbridge, Earsdon, Ford,  Longbenton, Newburn, North Sunderland, Ponteland, Seaton Delaval.
Yorkshire: Ripon

Offline mulvi3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Stafford & Mary Jane McGennis and Armstrong Surname
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 February 14 23:28 GMT (UK) »
The only thing I can think of is that perhaps Joseph married again.  The first Mary Jane had
at least x 3 children in Ireland, Joseph, Sarah Jane and Mary Jane b 1855. 

Perhaps the children from Robert John b 1859  in Consett.  belong to another Mary Jane ie Armstrong.

However can't see a marriage for a Stafford/Armstrong in Durham reg district and nothing coming up on the Irish site.

What info do you have on the Armstrong brothers.  Can only see Robert with Elizabeth and Wm Stafford in 1871.

Sorry cant think of anything else.  I suppose your suggestion of Mary Jane's mother re-marrying is feasible.  Both options have a tight timespan.

Vera

Offline Palform

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 March 14 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Vera

Thanks for your reply. The records I have are:

Marriage record for Joseph Stafford snr reads: 16 Jan 1849: Joseph Stafford & Mary Jane McGennis, Taughboyne, Co Donegal. She was aged 16 and her father was John McGennis. This places her year of birth as 1833 and subsequent census and death record ages agree.

Joseph Stafford jnr, my great grandfather, was born 8 Oct 1851 at Raymoghy, Donegal. His sisters Mary Jane born 24 Mar 1856 at Taughboyne, Donegal and Isabella Jane born 26 Sep 1853 Taughboyne and she may be the Sarah Jane you mentioned. The first record of the family in Consett is the 1861 census and Mary Jane is not recorded. Isabella Jane is recorded as aged 7 but does not appear on subsequent census returns and there are no death or burials records for her.
Robert John Stafford born c. 1859 and there are no birth or baptism records for him although the census returns record him born in Consett. He married Annie Gray of Southwick, Co Durham in 1888. Her father was from Newcastle and her mother from Wales, so no Irish connection there!

Robert John Armstrong was born c. 1834 in Ireland and the first record of him in Consett is on the 1861 census. He married Elizabeth who was born in Ireland c. 1840. They had two children born in Consett: Elizabeth c. 1877 and William c. 1878 - no birth records have been found for either. They are recorded on the 1881 census living with his widowed father who boarded with Joseph Stafford snr, his brother in law and Mary Stafford his sister. Robert John's wife Elizabeth was buried on 26 May 1874 and entry reads: Elizabeth wife of Robert John Armstrong age 36.
Robert John remarried in 1874 to Mary Rutherford. There is a burial record for her in 1878 age 23. No subsequent census or other records have been found for him or his children. The Consett census returns are:
1861: 94 Consett. Labourer at Iron Works. Married age 24 born Ireland. RG9 3732 f5 pg5
1871: Victoria Street, Consett. Ironworker. Married age 36, born Ireland. RG10 4958 f21 pg38
1881:10 Raglan Street, Consett.  Ironworks labourer, age 47 widower born Ireland. RG11 4945 f37 pg67
Boarded with Joseph Stafford snr his brother in law and Mary Stafford (nee Armstrong) his sister.

His brother William born C. 1842 Ireland is first recorded on the 1861 census living with brother Robert John in Consett. He was buried on 20 Jan 1900: William Armstrong, Ironworker of 17 Waltons Row, Blackhill age 57.
The census returns are:
CENSUS:
1861: 94 Consett. Unmarried. Labourer at Iron Works age 20 born Ireland. RG9 3732 f5 pg5
Living with brother Robert John Armstrong
1871: Cornforth Village, Co Durham. Labourer Iron Works age 28 born Ireland. RG10 4909 pg40
1881: 17 Waltons Row, Blackhill. Iron Worker age 38, born Ireland. RG11 4944 f56 pg28
1891: 17 Waltons Row, Benfieldside. Retired Iron Worker, age 49, born Ireland. RG12 4089 f76 pg5
He possibly married Isabella Kennedy or Kelly but I have not found any positive records.

I hope it makes interesting reading for you. Perhaps we will never know the answer for the Armstrong/McGennis mystery.

Best regards

Keith

Co Durham: Auckland St Helen, Bedburn, Bishop Middleham, Castleside, Consett, Dipton, Durham City, Elwick, Heworth, Hexham, Holwick, Iveston, Lanchester, Merrington, Middleton in Teesdale, Romaldirk, Stanhope, Witton Gilbert, Tanfield, West Auckland, Witton le Wear
Northumberland: Allendale, Corbridge, Earsdon, Ford,  Longbenton, Newburn, North Sunderland, Ponteland, Seaton Delaval.

Offline taffie01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 March 14 19:15 GMT (UK) »
perhaps this is the missing Isabella?

an Isabella Stafford married James Williamson 1870 in the Durham Northern district according to Durham on line Registrars records.

also just a thought,  allowing for interpretation have you thought about McGinnis as a possible spelling ?

Offline taffie01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 March 14 19:55 GMT (UK) »
hi Palform,
we have had same problem ref lack of birth registration. your ancestors are likely to be Roman Catholic religion. have you tried searching for baptisms. about that time the nearest  RC church was st. Mary at Blackhill, consett,   not sure if St Patrick's church was there then.

There is are a few William and Elizabeth Armstrongs  born in the relevant time frame listed on Durham CC online registrars certificates. (free to search)

hope this helps
taffie

Offline Palform

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 March 14 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Taffie

Thanks for your leads. Unfortunately the Isabella Stafford who married William Armstrong was not part of my ancestors family so Isabella Jane still remains a mystery. The Stafford surname (and Armstrong) were quite common in Durham and Northumberland with no link to mine. The McGennis surname is probably a corruption of McGuinness.

My only theory of the change of name from McGennis to Armstrong could be to hide the Irish connection as there was resentment from the Consett steelworkers who believed the Irish were taking their jobs. Seemingly there were 'battles' fought in the area over this resentment. The Battle of the Blue Heaps being a notable riot twixt Consett and Blackfyne resulting in a company of soldiers being quartered in Shotley Bridge to guard against and a possible contingency.

My Ancestors were baptised and married in the Church of Ireland and the same Consett ceremonies were held at the Parish Church. Samuel Stafford, my grandfather, according to my aunt was a member of the Orange Order and she remembered him dressed in the regalia when attending meetings. This was the early 1900's so resentment was still strong.

I will follow your lead for William and Elizabeth Armstrong on the Durham CC registers.

Best regards

Keith

Offline mulvi3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 March 14 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Keith

I do agree with you about the change/adoption of the name Armstrong.  My 80+ year old brother certainly recalls that happening. 

I wonder if both Mary Jane and Robert J were born as McGennis and mother later married beween 1834 (Rbt J's birth) and that of William in 1842 and then when the boys settled in England they adopted their mother's married name. 

I note that mother Mary Armstrong is on the 1861 census although I have not been able to see the
image as the site I subscribe to has omitted it for some reason.  I wonder if her death cert would show any clues.  Can't see her with Mary J, Robert J or William in 1871 and there are two deaths of a Mary Armstrong in the 60's with a Durham reg.

Regards

Vera

Offline Palform

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 March 14 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Vera

It is quite possible that Mary Jane's mother remarried during the period 1834 - 1842. She was only aged 16 when she married Joseph Stafford snr in 1849 and feasible she knew her father was John McGennis. Your theory that the siblings adopted their mother's second marriage name of Armstrong is a strong possibility and factual.

As for the 1861 Mary Jane and Joseph Stafford lived at 93 Consett and in 1860 lived at 93 High Consett according to son William James birth certificate.

I can forward a copy of the relative 1861 census returns for the Stafford and Armstrong families via email if you want see the details.

93 Consett and 93 High Consett were the same place. Unfortunately they are not shown on a 1896 Ordnance Map (the Alan Godfrey edition). I have a list of the Stafford burials in Consett Cemetery. Mary Jane Stafford (Armstrong) was buried on 5 January 1909 in Consett cemetery at Blackhill, age 74. Her  death certificate will not provide any clues for change of surname mystery.

Best regards

Keith

Offline mulvi3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 March 14 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Keith

The 1861 I was referring to was the one with Robert John, Elizabeth, brother William and mother Mary Armstrong aged 56 born Ireland approximately 1805.

I cannot see Mary Armstrong in the 1871 census and it is her death certificate I thought may throw up some clues.

I have informed the site I subscribe to about the lack of image.  I have seen a transcript but sometimes the image throws up clues not transcribed.

If you have that image, I would appreciate a copy. 

Vera