Author Topic: 1901 census site for free  (Read 9253 times)

Offline bekahsgran

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1901 census site for free
« on: Wednesday 14 July 04 18:46 BST (UK) »
  ;)Hi
Has anyone else received the sample edition of Genweekly, containing the following article? (AND YES IT WORKS!!!!)
The 1901 British Census Online: Keeping Your Cost Down
2004-07-08
by Jessica M. Dalley

The 1901 British census is the most recent census available to the public. This census can be very helpful for British genealogy and is every-name indexed (meaning that every family member is included in the index, not just the head of household). Even better, it’s available online! The only drawback to this otherwise great situation is that the census is pay-per-view, so you cannot see the images online unless you pay about $1.35 for each one. This can get expensive if you’re not sure which image you want!

Here is what I have learned about how to keep this census as free as possible. Follow me as I go through a step-by-step “cheapskate” way to get family information from the online index (this is a real example, so go ahead and try it out):

1. Go to www.census.pro.gov.uk. This is the main 1901 census site.

2. Click on “person search” or “advanced person search” on the left-hand side.

3. Now, let’s suppose you want to find Mary Hunt’s family, who you know was the daughter of John and was born about 1875. You know she was probably in Denby, Derbyshire in 1901. Type in her surname and given name and at the bottom type “Denby” in the “place keywords” space.

4. After a few seconds, two possibilities are found for Mary Hunt. One is age 13 and other age 14. At this point you have no idea which one is correct, and don’t want to pay to see both.

To save yourself from paying to see both images, here is the trick:

5. If you rest your mouse on the gold image icon (to the left of each name), you’ll see a page identification number in the gray bar at the bottom of the page (make sure your scroll bar is moved all the way to the bottom or you may not see it). It’s a long list of numbers mixed with letters.

6. Write down the page ID number for both Mary Hunts.

7. Now, go back to the search screen and do another search, changing Mary’s name to John.

8. A couple of John Hunts come up, and again, when you rest your mouse over the image icon a page ID shows at the bottom of the screen. The page ID will be the same for each person listed on the same page, so the John with the same page ID as one of my Mary possibilities will most likely be the right one.

9. Sure enough, one of his ID numbers matches one of the Mary Hunts, and you’ve found the correct family.

10. You can take this even further and find out that John’s wife was probably Agnes, and that they had eight other children with them besides Mary. All you have to do is enter a search for all Hunt names in Denby (the search often needs to be broken into male or female groups or it is too lengthy), and find those with the same page ID number. From the index itself you can learn each family member’s age, birthplace, and occupation.

The only thing to be careful about is that if you close out the website and then re-enter, the page ID number changes. So, do your index searching in one search session.

One extra trick about payment:

When you do decide to look at an image online, you will be required to pay a minimum of £5 (about US$9.00). Each image is 75p (about US$1.35), so if you set your account at £5, at the end of the session you will have 50p left over that you won’t be allowed to use. Set your session in increments of 75p (for £5.25, for example) and you won’t lose money.

Good luck and happy AFFORDABLE hunting!  :)

Anne
Website http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~annesgenealogy/index.html
Researching Websdale, Jillings, Lovett, Egmore, Plunkett and Bone in Norfolk and Suffolk
<br /><br />Websdale, Jillings, Lovett, Savage, Egmore, Seymour, Graves, Hustler, Stannard<br />in Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire<br />Condrit, Condrat, Condrut, Tyler, Hunter and Evans in NSW Australia

http://www.tilneyallsaintsonline.org.uk
Local History for TILNEY ALL SAINTS, Norfolk<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census site for free
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 July 04 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hey,

thanks that's a great one,  thanks for sharing it with us.   ;D

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 July 04 10:18 BST (UK) »
As I am not in a financial position to spend lots of money on genealogy I was very interested in your tips for the 1901 census.

I decided to put it to the test with a family group I know to be correct and came up with the following.

James age 38
Hannah age 35
Alice age 16
Walter age 14
Harry age 11
all above held under the same reference number.

Robert age 8
Mary age 6
Annie age 4
William age 2
all held under a different reference to the above,

Is it because they are perhaps held on the following page in the census.
If I had not known all the members of this family, how would I have connected them without spending my money?

regards

dinkey

TRAVIS/ROCHDALE-OLDHAM-TODMORDEN-ASHTON-U-LYNE-BURY AREAS
DALTON/WIDNES- CHESHIRE-THORNTON-FLEETWOOD

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 July 04 10:54 BST (UK) »
Here is another way of doing this:

go to http://www.censusdecoder.com and download the (free) 1901 census decoder.

Install on your computer and start it. It automatically goes to the 1901 census.

I have borrowed the following instructions from a posting on another board:

"First do a person search- fill in all the details and change limit of entries per person to 30

When you think you have found the person you are looking, make a note of the parish

Then go to advance search- delete all details except surname and in the place keywords section, put in the name of the parish

If you have a common surname - like Jones - you may need to search in sections, eg through ages and gender until you have covered them all

Each time you get a search result, click on process search

When your search is complete, click on search results and you will find a whole lot of data appears

You need to put this data into groups. Click on Group/Sort by, on downward arrow and then on page- this will group the names into the pages they appear and hopefully you will get a family unit."

'parish' is just one possibility, with practice, you will probably find other ways of searching for groups of people.

WARNING:
You can save the results, in excel and CSV, BUT: The page ID number is calculated new every time you start this program, so you can't load a saved session later, and add people to it. you have to start at the beginning again !
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline bekahsgran

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 July 04 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Dinkey
I didn't say it was infallible, but to some people it may work okay for a family group, but as with all shortcuts, they don't always work out 100% for everyone!
Anne
<br /><br />Websdale, Jillings, Lovett, Savage, Egmore, Seymour, Graves, Hustler, Stannard<br />in Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire and Lincolnshire<br />Condrit, Condrat, Condrut, Tyler, Hunter and Evans in NSW Australia

http://www.tilneyallsaintsonline.org.uk
Local History for TILNEY ALL SAINTS, Norfolk<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 July 04 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Boco

I installed the 1901 decoder and followed your instructions. I expected to see marital status and relationships showing Head of Household & relationship to head of household.

Am I missing something or does it just not provide this information.

Regards
dinkey

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 July 04 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Dinkey,

sorry, it doesn't provide this information !

Basically, it provides the same info. as you get for free, but with the advantage of being able to group by page-number. This gives you possible family groups, but, not the certainty that paying for a look at "household" does.

I am a "fan", because I found my Coleman family in London using the decoder - the 2 names and 1 date of birth I knew brought up information about a group four Colemans,  "living on the same page", which correlated to other facts I knew (2 places of birth, occuption of oldest male). This was enough for me to recognise this group of four Colemans as  my  family.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline dinkey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 July 04 19:46 BST (UK) »
I have now found a number of my family groups without spending a penny, so its a big thank you from me and an even bigger thankyou from my husband.

regards

dinkey

Offline JessMarie11

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 August 04 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am the author of the 1901 census article and am glad that it has been so useful! I'd like to inform everyone that I have a website and am posting my recent articles there, where they can be read free of charge. Please visit me at www.legacy-tree.com.

-Jessica Dalley