Author Topic: Looking for parents of Elvira Comeau in Nova Scotia  (Read 14200 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for parents of Elvira Comeau in Nova Scotia
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 March 14 02:37 GMT (UK) »
wow, valerie, this is weird...the one I found for the above parents punch stated above was this entry...
1874 / Book 1807/Page  205 /Number 330
James D.  also has a birth date of 11 August 1874  Salmon River, Digby, N.S. shows parents   Stephen Mallette farmer, Salmon River & Madeline Saulnier married January 1852 Church point

I'm thinking perhaps we need to look at what is known for certain & where the information came from, if it has been confirmed, or from an online family tree., or from just census alone?
Also, how did you confirm the surname for Elvira, punch? Just want to make sure we are all going in the right direction.
o.k. I answered the last part for myself as I see from an online transcription of some St. Vincent de Paul Parish records  http://acadie1755.tripod.com/Sal_Rv_birth_HZ-2.html
Joseph Wilfred Maillet the son of Jerry Maillet & Elvira Comeau born April10 1906
and Robert Etienne Maillet  son of "Jeremie" Maillet & Elvira Comeau Sept 23 1907
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I didn't get back  on to add that I looked at the whole page & the other four births are also on page...I'll just put basics as the birth/christening dates can be found at that url I pointed to above if anyone doesn't have them. Godparents might help in some way, although they may not be direct family.

-Marie Esther Maillet  b.1900 ( mother as Elvire)  GP : Louis Maillet & Annie COMEAU
-Joseph Ernest Maillet (both spellings Alvery Elvire) b 1901 GP: Raymond COMEAU, and his wife Mary COMEAU
-Anne May Maillet b.1903 ( mother as Elvire)  GP :Joseph Trahan & Sophie COMEAU
-Joseph Edouard Maillet (Alvira) b. 1904  GP: Jim McCULLY & Mme. Jim McCully
-Joseph Wilfred Maillet ( Elvira ) b.1906 GP: Irenee Deveau & Mme. Arcade Deveau
-Robert Etienne Maillet ( Elvira) b.1907  GP: Jules Deveau & Marie Deveau

Looked for  Joseph Wilfred Mailette's birth 1906....late returned  by Jerry "Mallet" May 22 1925, says father a carpenter in Mavillette nova scotia,  where it says J.W. was also born
Just saw Robert's as well, surname as Mallet, also says born Mavillette late returned by self, Robert E.  July 25 1925, calls father Jeremine
The censuses all say Salmon River though if I recall...

Not that it really helps a great deal ...this may be the Raymond listed with wife Mary?
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=70239&highlight=8
and can't believe everything we see here....but the deaths of Raymond & Sophie lists those parents ( but with mother's name Mathilde) http://comeaunet.org/database/getperson.php?personID=I44767&tree=Comeau
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Just to add, Salmon River and Mavillette are only a few km's apart.

Louis Maillet is a brother of Jeremee Maillet and married Annie Deveau. When you look at the area and start to look at the Comeau/Deveau/Mallet/Maillet etc and alternate spelling, there are tons of intermarriages between all these families. They also all use the same names over and over again. Sometimes the transcriptions/documents are in English and sometimes in French or a combination of both. Salmon River is in Digby County but actually closer to Yarmouth. That is the reason that the Argyle Township Courthouse and Archives has the transcriptions. Probably from the book by Leonard Smith. He has several books on parish records in Southwest Nova Scotia. I would contact the site given earlier and ask for a lookup. BMD's in Nova Scotia for the late 1800's to early 1900's are haphazard at best and the only real way to find info is through the parish records. If you look at the 1910 stillborn child of Jerry and Elvira, it has Louis Maillet as the undertaker. In the same year there is deaths for twins of Louis and Annie with Jerry Maillet as the undertaker. That was common in rural areas where there were no funeral homes.

I haven't concentrated on the Meteghan area as it is just far enough away from Salmon River to exclude. I haven't seen anything in the census records for the Mallet/Maillet to think that Meteghan would come into play even though there are lots of all those surnames in that area as well as Salmon River.

Will keep looking.
Val

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry valerie I was still adding to that last posting when I saw you'd replied...I added a little bit about the Sophie and Raymond who may be the ones listed as Godparents & it actually could be one family to look into!!! I am not saying this is they...but looking at all angles can sometimes help.

For those looking in...This is not necessarily the correct person...but the others listed MAY be related / MAY have been the godparents of the children
Mariam E. Comeau....christened 11 October 1878  Etoile de la Mer Catholic Church, Meteghan
parents Mandati Comeau  ( A.K.A. Maunde)  and Anna Matilda Beliveau  (a.k.a. Domithilde Belliveau )

That gal's siblings christened   Etoile -de- la Mer Catholic Church, Meteghan obviously a Catholic Church although in a French town, using  latin....  like the one in my home town...
so Mariam is simply Marie/Mary
Ludivicum Raymundum Comeau christened 20 October 1868
Bazilium Isaiam Comeau   christened  30 Dec 1872
Sophiam Comeau christened 16 June 1874
Sophicam Aliciam Comeau  christened 20 June 1875
Joannem Henricum Comeau   christened 1 Nov 1876
Mariam E. Comeau christened  11 Oct  1878
Beatricem Comeau christened  Sept 15 or 20 1880
Monicam Adeliam Comeau christened  22 Sept  1883

I thought there was also a Louis Mailette married to an Anne Commeau
 http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/View.jsp?id=23585&highlight=12

Although buried in Salmon River, Elvira was living in Mavilette when she died, wasn't she?

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 03:36 GMT (UK) »
I found some of the online transcriptions of the Comeau's for St Vincent de Paul and nothing matched with any of the Comeau's that were listed as godparents so maybe need to concentrate on Meteghan. It can take a while to rule out some churches.

I made the connection of Louis and Jerry Maillet through deaths of infants in 1910 on www.novascotiagenealogy.com
The deaths were listed in Mavillette and Louis was undertaker for death of stillborn child of Jerry. Jeremie was undertaker at the death of Louis twins. That was where I found the name of Annie Deveau.

I will do some searching tomorrow for the churches in Meteghan and see if I can find something. The French Shore of Nova Scotia is a large area so I concentrated on the area around Salmon River when I started looking.

It is late here in NS so I am off to bed.
Val

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi, valerie...Maybe Louis was a cousin...I think he also ended up in Mavilette, and was married several times... Unless we are indeed chasing the wrong Jeremie?

The poster has the parents as Stephen Maillet and Marie Madeline Saulnier
From the Family search info posted earlier on James D/a.k.a. Jerry's siblings were:

Maguet Maillot   ( Margaret c 1853 )
marriage: 18 January 1882  Saint Vincent De Paul Catholic   
parents: Etienne Maillet/Madeleine Saulnier   spouse: Leezino Devaux   witness:Tim F. Devaux, Julie Devaux

Monick Dauphinee Mallett
christened 1 November 1855  Saint Vincent De Paul Catholic, Salmon River, DigbySCOTIA
parents Stephen Mallett  & Madellene Saulnier
Dauphinee Maillet
marriage: 22 February 1881  Saint Vincent De Paul Catholic, Salmon River, Digby
parents: Etienne Maillet / Madeleine Saulniers  spouse Henri Saulniers   witness: Hilaire Saulniers, Seraphique Comeau

Frank probably Francis c1858

Anne on census?
Rosalie Chantal Maillet  b. 2 June 1862
christened 30 June 1862  Saint Vincent De Paul Catholic,Salmon River,
Etienne Maillet   Madeleine Saulnier
Chantal Maillet  marriage: 19 November 1889    Saint Vincent De Paul Catholic, Salmon River, Digby
parents: Etienne Maillet  Madeleine Saulnier  spouse: Lezin Boudreau  witness: Pierre Boudreau, Rosalie Colombe Maillet

Joanna in 1871?
Jean Cyriague Mallet  birth6 October 1864  Meteghan, Digby, Nova Scotia
parents: Etienne Mallet   Madeline Saulwier Mallet

Jean C. Mallet  birth 6 October 1864   Meteghan, Digby, Nova Scotia
seems to be a duplicate/error? Etienne Mallet  and Madeline Melanson

Marie Agathe Maillet  christened  26 February 1866  Saint Vincent De Paul Catholic,Salmon River,
Etienne Maillet   Magdeleine Saulnier
Mary Agat Mallett  b 25 February 1866    Meteghan, Digby, Nova Scotia
parents: Stephen Mallett & Madeline Sonice

Jane Mallet b 18 September 1868 Meteghan, Digby, Nova Scotia  parents: Stephen Mallet / Madeline Sonia
Genovefam Maillet christened  27 September 1868  Saint Vincent De Paul Catholic, Salmon River, Digby
Stephani Maillet  Magdalena Saulnier

Severinum Simeonem Maillet   
christened 1 January 1872   Saint Vincent De Paul Catholic, Salmon River, DigbySCOTIA
parents Stephani Maillet & Magdalena Saulnier

James D. Mallette  11 August 1874 Salmon River, Digby, Nova Scotia
parents Stephen Mallette / Madeline Saulnier

http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1871/jpg/4396665_00533.jpg
1871 Canada Census  Malet Stephen 48  Mdelin 46
Margaret  18
Monock   15
Frank      13
Ann?       10   
Jomana?   8 ( Inona?)
Jane          3
Simon & Jerry added in 1881 can't see them at all in 1891.... :P

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e325/e008120694.jpg
1881  Stephen Mallette 60   Madlen  48
Margaret 28
Frank 23
Arsine 21
Jeantabe or Jeantate 18 ( same 1st letter as Jerry)
Jane 13
Semeons Mallette 9 Nova Scotia
Jerry Mallette  6
Susan ( or could be Suzan) Robeshau 94

The next page has Louis with parents Peter & Mary http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e325/e008120695.jpg

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Further to Godparents
A James McCully born 1861 ( Jean McCully & Catherine Thibeault) also a Carpenter as was Jerry, died 1924 Mavillette but was buried Salmon River    https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KMLV-LBG
The marriage of his brother Remi shows another surname spelling of Mccullough
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V2PT-62T

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the recent maps it has Mavillette near Meteghan and it is Salmon River that is well over 350 kms away. Was the area that much different back then?

Disclaimer: This may not be the correct family...but probably related as Godparents appear to point to this bunch! Plus I searched hard for some of this so will post info for others looking...

This is the family I found earlier, with a Mary of correct age, in Meteghan 1881 census,    Mandè Comeau  & Anne M Comeau ( The M is for Mathilde/ Matilda)
( remember Louis Comeau a.k.a. Raymond as per Catholic naming so marie may have most likely dropped her first saint's name as well )
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MV6Y-ZS3
In 1891 they are listed as in Cheticamp, mother is down as Matildy.
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1891/jpg/30953_148114-00279.jpg

Sophie states she was born Salmon River when married in Salmon River to Edward COMEAU of Saulnierville in 1909 The couple is in Metaghan 1911 http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=70043&highlight=2

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 March 14 00:35 GMT (UK) »
The Salmon River that is 350km away is in Colchester County near Truro. The French Shore including Salmon River, Digby county is on St. Mary's Bay off The Bay of Fundy. The communities from north to south are Church Point, Little Brook, Comeauville, Saulnierville, Meteghan River, Meteghan Station, Meteghan, Bear Cove, St. Alphonse, Mavillette, Cape St. Marys, Salmon River. Bear cove is about half way between Salmon River and Meteghan. It is about a 30 minute drive from Church Point to Salmon River. All the communities are either on or close to the ocean. There are large catholic churches in almost every community so born in Bear Cove living in Mavillette and buried in Salmon River made sense to look at the church in Salmon River first.

The 1881 census
Comeau, Mande ?/ Chantale/Rosalie/Marie/Lucie

This looked like a possible as the age was perfect but the Marie married a different person. I have checked it over and over again just to see if there was an error in the document or transcription.

Oct 24. 1899
Jeremiah Comeau, age 26, Meteghan River, parents Maxime and Virginie
Marie Comeau, age 22, parents Mande and Chantal
witnesses - Anton Melanson and Rose Comeau

I was hoping that I would somehow find something to put Jeremiah Comeau as Maillet but couldn't.

I also found a Jeremie Maillet that married Francoise Comeau. He was a Section man, CPR and the children were born in Meteghan.
Joseph Ruther Maillet, b. June 6, 1894, Meteghan
Marie Margaret Lucie Maillet, b. Apr 1912, Meteghan Station,
So this is not the Jeremie or Elvira we were looking for.

I went to the 1921 census in the hopes that Jerry Maillet may have remarried. Often the marriage will be to a relative of the wife, especially if there are young children. No such luck.
Municipality of Clare (which is the French Shore), Mavillette (badly mispelled on the census)
Jerry S. Maillet, 46
Esther Maillet, 20
Annie, 18
Edward, 16
Wilfred, 15
Robert, 13
Madeline Maillet, 90

Mrs. Madeline Maillet, died June 1925, age 94 with Robert Maillet, grandson as the informant so no help their either.
I have not been able to find a death in Nova Scotia for Jerry Maillet but ancestry does have a border crossing around 1940 to the USA if someone can look that up. I don't have the membership.

Clutching at straws at this point. I have checked the 1881 and 1891 census at LAC for all Comeau children age 2, 3, 4 for 1881 for Salmon River to Meteghan and haven't come up with anything conclusive and the same for 1891 age 12, 13, 14.

I think I will spend some time now on St. Alphonse and see if I can find anything there as it is the closest community to Bear Cove and I'm not sure what would have been there in the time period 1875-1916 when Elvira died. It does appear that registrations were slow as Elvira died in 1916 and wasn't registered until 1917.

I live about 90 minutes from Salmon River/Mavillette. It is a beautiful area. I have been to all the beaches and most of the churches. I will keep looking.
Val