Author Topic: Ship "Runnymede"  (Read 5027 times)

Offline Peterleut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ship "Runnymede"
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 September 19 03:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to this site. I also had ancestors that arrived on the "Runnymede" at Portland, Vic. in June 1852. I have the original of a very detailed letter written by my ancestor to his parents in Scotland after arrival. I would love to get in touch with you. I too am curious about the ship. My limited research shows a Runnymede constructed in 1825 and wrecked at Bay of Bengal in 1844, then Runnymede 2 constructed in 1854 and wrecked off the Kimberley coast in 1878. so, which one was the ship that our ancestors came on? it was definitely the Runnymede as the passenger list and our ancestors letter confirms. So... was there another Runnymede or was it the one that sank in the Bay of Bengal and its year of sinking is wrong?

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 September 19 04:43 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome!

Report here of the loss of the Runnymede, Nov. 1844
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article12880494

M

Offline Peterleut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 September 19 04:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mathew. I wonder here the barque, Runnymede that arrived with my ancestors at Portland in 1852 came from?? this confirms the first Runnymede, the ship that had carried convicts to Australia, did, in fact sink in 1844.

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 October 19 09:31 BST (UK) »
From Lloyds Shipping Register.

Runnymede owned by Barton & Co Liverpool. J Brown Capt. 452 Ton. Contracted normally Liverpool to India. Builders at StJohn "I think that is Nova Scotia" .Barque Part sheathed, copper nailed

Neil

Following up on what Neil found previously, the article linked below from May 1852 talks of the Mangerton, Quebec-built, 1100 tons, owners Messrs. Barton and Brown, Cook-street, Liverpool who also own the Runnymede
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article114835579

M

Online LoganH

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 12:02 BST (UK) »
The Shipping Gazette and Syndey General Trade List (Volume 9, Number 428. 12th June 1852, Page 163, Column 3).
The Runnymede arrived at Portland Bay on the 2nd instant, from Liverpool the 23rd January, with 212 immigrants.
------
Newspaper - Empire (Syndey NSW) Saturday 19th June 1852, page 2. Portland Shipping.

Arrivals. - (June 2) Runnymede, barque, 408 tons, James Brown, master, from Liverpool 23rd February. No cargo or mail. Passengers - Surgeon-Superintendent, and 212 immigrants.
Squatters be of good cheer. - We learn from our last files of English papers, and the information is fully confirmed by the arrival of the Runnymede, emigrant ship, in our Bay, yesterday morning, with 212 immigrants, that the Emma Eugenia, 388 tons, another vessel for Portland direct, may be immediately expected in our harbour with a large complement of both sexes, all  of whom belong to the labouring classes; thus the lack of servants for the interior will be supplied most opportunity; not only so, but a regular succession of emigrant vessels will, from time to time, continue to arrive, freighted with the very description of labour that the colony, and our portion of it in particular,most pressingly requires. We have thus the gratifying assurance that settlers will, in a brief time, have their necessities supplied adequate to their wishes, ardent, urgent, and numerous as they are. The Runnymede, on leaving this , is bound for Bombay: her stay will not be protracted here. The Collector's destination is Melbourne, not Portland, as formerly intimated. This circumstance is immaterial, in consequence of the above named barque bringing the immigrants who were expected about this date, and who are safely anchored in our spacious bay.  Since the above was in type, we learn that the Runnymede had to continued with baffling winds for nearly a month, abreast of Kangaroo Island, otherwise she would  have made a passage unprecedently rapid.
The passengers unite in bearing unequivocal testimony to the uniform kindness of the captain as a gentleman, and his judgment as a mariner: and to the skill, humane deportment, and attention of the Surgeon-Superintendent, professionally.   And, on the other hand, Captain Brown and the Doctor record, with pleasure, the good conduct of the immigrants. - Portland Herald.

Offline Peterleut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 October 19 12:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Mathew and Logan for your replies and information. All these ships with the same name makes it difficult. I also found another Runnymede, a barque as well, built in Tasmania. My problem is there is much information in the first Runnymede, where and when it was built and lost in the Bay of Bengal in 1844. there is similar information on Runnymede 2 that was built in 1854 and sunk off the Kimberley coast in 1876 (I am quoting this from memory). There is also information on the Runnymede built in Tasmania and sunk in Frenchmans Bay. But we haven't been able to find the same detail on the Runnymede that arrived in Portland Bay 2nd June 1852, although we do now know it who it was owned by and that Liverpool was it's home port. It seems it was a good ship and quite fast. I understand the ship was usually on the Liverpool to India run, and soon after arriving in Portland Bay in 1852 she sailed for India and returned to Portland. I appreciate the article reproduced by Logan, interestingly, whilst my great, great grandfather did have very kind words about Captain Brown in his letter home, he was not at all happy with the surgeon. I quote..." On Friday 4th sunset, they came on board again and we were all taken on the poop and examined. They were very civil men and knew how to treat men. They asked us each if we had any complaints to make against the Captain or the Surgeon and I can tell you there were plenty complaints as we were very badly dealt with. We had only 2 quarts of water for the first month where we should have had 3 so we had to make a strike for more. We had short allowance of preserved meat, we had short allowance of coffee, bad beef and pork and several other things which were kept or given us. Sometimes we could not bear the smell of the water and they would give us no spirits to put amongst it. We had a little lime juice but were soon put on half allowance.  It was the Surgeon’s post to see us get our rights and he was the very one that kept them from us.  He was seldom from his cabin and when he did come it was with a frown upon his countenance. He would come among the young men and call us a parcel of dam blackguards or thieves but I believe he was not so far mistaken when he called us thieves for I don’t exactly know how much I lost."
Thank you Mathew and Logan again for your information. you have both assisted in increasing our knowledge considerably and it is much appreciated.

Peter

Online LoganH

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 October 19 03:39 BST (UK) »
Did a bit more research using the Lloyd's Register of British and Foreign Shipping for 1852.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=FD8SAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:0Ftz6zT302-gFzEJxA5c6C&lr=&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

Don't want to breach copyright by posting image of data - so you can look it up yourself -

I am still learning to decrypt data but -

2nd column -    Ships name and build – Runneymede Bkptr&ca51r&Y =Bk – Barque, pt – part, r&ca – Felt and Copper sheathed, 1851r&Y

3rd Column-   M.51ptI.B.   -J.Brown –Master’s name. Received certificate of qualification – 1851 qualified for ship class - I.B. (Third class & Barque)
4th Column-   452.- 408 – Ship tons (refitted to 408 ton)
5th Column -   St.Jhn HkB&P.w.pt r.&cs.51. –Built St. Johns in 1851 Timber used on vessels construction HK – Hackmatack and Pine. Part Felt and Copper sheathed.
6th Column-   When built 1851.
7th Column   Owners -   Barton & C. Liverpool
8th Column   Port belonging to -Liverpool
9th Column -    Destined voyage Liv.India – Liverpool to India.
10th Column-   Number of years fleet assigned – 6.
11th Column-    Classification for Hull and Stores -   A 1 – Last surveyed 1851.