Author Topic: How to find out birth information  (Read 4056 times)

Offline suevbird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How to find out birth information
« on: Thursday 06 March 14 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  I have my g.grandfathers death certificate that states he died on 31st May 1935 at the age of 55.  Is there anwhere I can find out his actual date of birth or when he was born as the certificate does not give this information.

Many thanks

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How to find out birth information
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 March 14 15:04 GMT (UK) »
That puts his birth c1880?

So, try to find him on FreeBMD - then purchase his Birth Certificate ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 March 14 15:17 GMT (UK) »
hi,,,if you post his name,,,and where he died,,,we can can try and find this info.....also....just wondered why you bought a death cert to find out his birth year ?   do you not have him in the census,,,,or his marriage cert ?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Plummiegirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me, Dad, Granddad & G/gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 March 14 15:24 GMT (UK) »
SueVbird probably did not buy the death certificate.
I found a load of family certificates including odd death ones in a drawer when my gran died,  luckily I kept them for years, so when I started my family history I was able to use them to find births.
Fleming (Bristol) Fowler/Brain (Battersea/Bristol)    Simpson (Fulham/Clapham)  Harrison (W.London, Fulham, Clapham)  Earl & Butler  (Dublin,New Ross: Ireland)  Humphrey (All over mainly London) Hill (Reigate, Bletchingly, Redhill: Surrey)
Sell (Herts/Essex/W. London)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 March 14 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Who did he marry and when,that may help us find him on the censuses.
Do you know his kids names or rough dates of birth/places?

What job did he do?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suevbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 March 14 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,  thanks for all the replies.  This is an ongoing 'brickwall' I have regarding my paternal great grandparents (please see my post on Skirbeck Almshouse).   I had no information on my g.grandfather except his name and that he died between my nan's birth (1922) and her marriage in 1940.  So I just looked up death information in the last place I knew they lived (Boston, Lincolnshire) and found just one person with the same name in the right area.  I ordered the certificate which came today and confirms I have the right person.  His name in Henry Clarke and he was born 1880 but I have no idea where.  My g.grandmother was a great mystery as you will see if you view my other post.  This information we were given was that her maiden name was Maud Thurle/Thurloe (as stated on the childrens birth certs), but we are now certain this is not true.  She always said she was born in 1871, but considering my Nan was born in 1922 I always thought this highly unlikely.  All the information I have can be found on my other post but I'll list it here anyway:

Henry Clarke b.1880  married to Maud Thurle/Thurloe???

Children:  Phyllis May b.1915, Doreen Gwennie b.1917, Edward b.1919, Joan Irene (my nan)b.1922
All of the children were born in Lincolnshire, although we have never been able to find birth information for Edward (he definitely existed though, I met him as a child).

We are fairly certain that both g.grandparents were born in London, my g.grandfather was a docker, but we assume they went to Lincolnshire either for work or personal reasons.  By 1945 my g.grandmother had returned to London and lived in Croydon until she died in 1972.

I can hear many heads banging on walls!!!!!!

Offline suevbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 March 14 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Just one more piece of info.  My g.grandfather died on 31/05/1935 from a heart attack.  It states on his death certificate place of death was 'the dock' in Boston, so it looks like he died whilst at work.  The other piece of info I have is that he worked for the Boston Deep Sea Fishing & Ice Company

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 March 14 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Maud's maiden name also given as Thurlow on some of the birth index entries.

Edward's birth seems to have been registered in the Peterborough RD Dec qtr 1918 ref 3b 398.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suevbird

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 March 14 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Nell.  I will obtain his birth certificate and see if the parents names match

Sue