Author Topic: Windows XP RIP!  (Read 9214 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Windows XP RIP!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 March 14 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Gadget - My Windows Vista laptop gave up the ghost, so I had to get a new one.  I couldn't afford the Windows 7, they were so much more expensive than Windows 8, but when we went to PCWorld, just to get a feel of the things, the staff there didn't know anything, they couldn't tell me what programs would work - apart from the type of things that the youngsters use - so in the end I e-mailed the help desks of the programs I use, like Legacy for family tree and everyone said their programs were compatible with Windows 8.

In the end I bought my laptop on line from John Lewis.  I've got used to Windows 8 now, but only because I've altered it to suit me and got rid of most of the apps, which update themselves regularly using up my user time (can't remember the word I need - old age!!).

Lizzie

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 09:26 GMT (UK) »
Quick query ~

Are any of those with XP having masses of updates at the moment. Second day that Mr G has muttered as he's gone out of the door 'Computer's doing updates, can you keep your eye on it'

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 09:45 GMT (UK) »
8 updates for XP received last week.
 Brian
Including those below:
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB2929961)  14 March 2014 Automatic Updates 
Windows XP Windows XP End of Support Notification (KB2934207)  14 March 2014 Automatic Updates 
Windows XP Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - March 2014 (KB890830)  14 March 2014 Microsoft Update 
Windows XP Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP (KB2925418)  14 March 2014 Microsoft Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB2929961)  14 March 2014 Microsoft Update 
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB2930275)  14 March 2014 Microsoft Update 
Windows XP Windows XP End of Support Notification (KB2934207)  14 March 2014 Microsoft Update 
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Looks as if they're having a closing down sale  ::)

I think I'll advise him to stick with XP but keep av and fw up to date and select a new machine when his falls to bits  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline wyndham

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 19:38 GMT (UK) »
It appears that in America Microsoft is offering XP users $50 to buy a Windows 8 or 8.1 lap-top or pad.  Offers remains open until 30 April 2014.  I am not aware of this happening here.

Offline PicScanner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Fast, Free iOS App for Digitizing Photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 March 14 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Windows XP computers will still work, anti-virus support will continue, and (hopefully) virus creators will move on to do their nasty work on newer PCs and leave XP users alone!

Microsoft will continue to issue patches for high-level vulnerabilities through “Custom Support,” a program designed for large organizations (Not individuals, sadly). It will cost about $200 per device per year, plus extra charges for some of the important patches.

For others, Microsoft is offering a $100 discount to upgrade to a new Windows 8 machine. More at: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/microsoft-will-pay-100-upgrade-xp/#ixzz2wm9zTx00

Or do yourself a favor and switch to Mac:)

Offline snooziflooze

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 March 14 10:28 GMT (UK) »
My local computer shop charges £150 for an update to Windows 7/8.  Since my computer is about 10 years old, I don't know whether I'd be throwing money away, if it died sometime afterwards.

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 March 14 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Likewise, the cost of upgrading an existing XP computer is 'silly money'.
Current desktop purchased 2003 cost (including flatscreen monitor and MS Office) just 2000 pounds. :o
New desktop base machine @300pounds plus software costs.
[Desktop machine going upstairs for non internet use, using for general office work]
Leaving me to use a 12month old windows 7 laptop.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 March 14 12:09 GMT (UK) »
My local computer shop charges £150 for an update to Windows 7/8.  Since my computer is about 10 years old, I don't know whether I'd be throwing money away, if it died sometime afterwards.

Save your money.

Make sure your anti virus and firewall are kept up to date - an old computer running XP is quite likely to struggle under Windows 7 unless upgraded and will definitely have problems with Windows 8.

Changing from XP to either 7 or 8 will also likely require new hardware - not all manufacturers brought out drivers for printers and scanners etc hoping to force consumers to upgrade that equipment as well.