Author Topic: Family Tree Maker Help  (Read 1858 times)

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Family Tree Maker Help
« on: Thursday 23 June 05 01:58 BST (UK) »
Hi My husband purchased Family Tree Maker Version 11(the newest one we could find in nz) for my Birthday. I have started to transfer my info from paper to tree. BUT i have now found so many mistakes (as you do) in my Tree. What i would like to do is delete the program and then reinstall it so i can start with a blank canvas again. Can some one tell me in English how to do this. Many Thanks
                            Carol80
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree Maker Help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 June 05 08:05 BST (UK) »
You don't need to delete the whole Family Tree program.  The simplest method is to go to the "File" drop-down menu (top left) and select "New".  You will get a prompt to enter a name for your new file (must be different from the original one), and you can then start entering your corrected data in a fresh file.

You can either leave your original file (complete with erors) as a kind of reference, or delete it once you're happy with the new file.  FTM 11 lets you have 2 files open at once for comparison, which can be useful.

If you decide to delete the original file, open the new file and close the old one.  Then use the "File" menu and select "Open": you should see a list which includes both your family files.  Select the old one, but instead of clicking on "open", hit "delete" on your keyboard - this will do the trick.

Hope this helps!

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Re: Family Tree Maker Help
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 June 05 11:50 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks Did the trick
            Carol80
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.