Author Topic: Results of Census 2021 Consultation  (Read 2174 times)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Results of Census 2021 Consultation
« on: Friday 28 March 14 13:48 GMT (UK) »
This has just arrived by email; I imagine some others on RootsChat will have received the same.

Dear Respondent

I thought that you would be interested to know that the National Statistician, Jil Matheson, made her recommendation yesterday on the way forward for census and population statistics.

In summary the recommendation is:

·        An online census of all households and communal establishments in England and Wales in 2021 as a modern successor to the traditional, paper-based decennial census. ONS recognises that special care would need to be taken to support those who are unable to complete the census online.

This would be combined with:

·        Increased use of administrative data and surveys in order to enhance the statistics from the 2021 Census and improve annual statistics between censuses.

·        Together these would make the best use of all available data to provide the population statistics which England and Wales require and offer a springboard to the greater use of administrative data and annual surveys in the future.

·        Further research is to be carried out over the coming months and years to determine the most appropriate blend of methods and data sources.

You can find the National Statistician’s recommendation here [ www.ons.gov.uk/ons/about-ons/who-ons-are/programmes-and-projects/beyond-2011/beyond-2011-report-on-autumn-2013-consultation--and-recommendations/national-statisticians-recommendation.pdf ]
and the response from the Sir Andrew Dilnot, Chair of the UK Statistics Authority here [

The Government will respond in due course.

Discussion with users has played a key role in informing our view of the best way forward. It strongly underlined the value to users of existing census data about small areas, about small populations and as part of the historical record. It also showed that users recognise the potential value of modernising our approach and making use of other sources. We feel the resulting recommendation of a mixed approach provides the best possible solution and a very positive base for the future. Our summary report of the consultation is also published today.

We look forward to continuing to work with you as we refine the approach over coming months and years.

Please contact us at beyond2011 *at ons.gov.uk if you have any questions or wish to discuss further.

Kind regards

Ian Cope 
Director of Population and Demography Directorate

Moderator Comment: *Email address modified to reduce spam
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline lizbet t

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Results of Census 2021 Consultation
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 November 15 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Has anybody else received a notification about the latest consultation earlier this year (June 4- August 15, 2015) ? I participated and I have been sent an alert on their initial summary of the  2015 consultation.

"The report provides a brief topic by topic summary of responses and includes summary tables about the numbers of data users, agreement with ONS’s initial view, and the impact on users if data were not collected."

It can be found as a download at the ONS site

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Results of Census 2021 Consultation
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 May 16 22:53 BST (UK) »
I wonder how I came to miss this post at the time?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich