Author Topic: Can anybody find James Bradford?  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anybody find James Bradford?
« on: Tuesday 01 April 14 15:22 BST (UK) »
I found a newspaper report but cannot find James Bradford on the 1871 or 1881 Census?
Is it significant that James was a farmer in Prittlewell and owed money to Eastwood??

Chelmsford Chronicle, Friday 18 July 1879. Rochford. James Bradford of Prittlewell a farmer was summoned for non-payment of poor rate amounting to three pounds for the parish of Eastwood district, A warrant was issued.

The only baptism I have is;
James Bradford bap 13 Sep 1840 s of Matthew (Lab) and Ann at Southchurch. SEAX

The only other possibility was also a boy named James Bradford on the 1851 census s of Thomas and Sarah but on other census he was named as John Bradford born 1839 Canewdon and also registered as John in 1839 Rochford Apr-Jun vol 12 page 189

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Can anybody find James Bradford?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

It would help us to know what your connection is to him.  Is he an ancestor?

If you are descended from one of his children then we can perhaps find him via that childs details
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 16:59 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Thomas Bradford bapt 1805 in North Shoebury who lived in Barling son of Mathew born 1766 NOT Essex from census. Thomas had brothers Mathew bap 1801 and Isaac 1812. As Mathew Snr was not born in Essex I have been looking at other family members to see if there are any clues as to where the family originated from.

Thomas 1805 was a Farm Baliff in Canewdon.
James Bradford may or not be related but probably the son of Mathew the nephew of Thomas. It just seems odd that he is not on the census.

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 23:11 BST (UK) »
I am descended from Thomas Bradford bapt 1805 in North Shoebury who lived in Barling son of Mathew born 1766 NOT Essex from census. Thomas had brothers Mathew bap 1801 and Isaac 1812. As Mathew Snr was not born in Essex I have been looking at other family members to see if there are any clues as to where the family originated from.

Thomas 1805 was a Farm Baliff in Canewdon.
James Bradford may or not be related but probably the son of Mathew the nephew of Thomas. It just seems odd that he is not on the census.
Hi
On the 1861 Census Someone has corrected James to Read Thomas and in later census you will see that he appears as Thomas on their So perhaps he changed his name I have ancesters called harry Little Harry Big Harry but were all baptised with other names So Perhaps Thomas was a family name too
Ronnie Take another look at the corrected one and the next one and see what I mean
Ronnie

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 23:25 BST (UK) »
Ronnie, thank you for your suggestion. Could you please give me a date and place of birth for James /Thomas on the 1861 census that you mention to help me find the entry.
I would still like to find him on the 1871 or 1881 census!!

Offline vabbott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 08:34 BST (UK) »
Ronnie, thank you for your suggestion. Could you please give me a date and place of birth for James /Thomas on the 1861 census that you mention to help me find the entry.
I would still like to find him on the 1871 or 1881 census!!
Good Morning
On the 1861 He is living at Porters Cottage in Prittlewell aged 9years born in Canewdon same as Maryann
on the 1871 He is still  living at Porters Cottage it says Thomas and Margaret but if you look at the census it definitely says Maryann 4 of the children were born in Southend.
By 1881 he seems to be married to sarah and living at 10 Rose Villas and working as a Carman
Hope these help and is your man
Ronnie

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 09:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry Ronnie. He is;
Thomas BRADFORD bap 7 Mar 1852 son of Thomas and Mary Ann at Canewdon Essex
Thomas is always Thomas (on census and marriage) not James and was an Agr Lab not a farmer.
He is 'my' Thomas Bradford who was later a corn merchant.

There was a James Bradford bap 13 Sep 1840 s of Matthew (Lab) and Ann at Southchurch. SEAX
who is with parents 1841 & 1851 then 'disappears' until the newspaper report in 1879.