Author Topic: Poor Rate 1879  (Read 488 times)

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Poor Rate 1879
« on: Wednesday 02 April 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know who would be liable to pay 'poor rate'? I found a newspaper report and wonder if this offence may give some information about James.

1879. Rochford. James Bradford of Prittlewell a farmer was summoned for non-payment of poor rate amounting to three pounds for the parish of Eastwood district.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Rate 1879
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 08:59 BST (UK) »
A 1601 Act empowered parish overseers to raise money for poor relief from the inhabitants of the parish, according to their ability to pay. The poor-rate was originally a form of local income tax, but over time evolved into the rating system — a property tax based on the value of real estate. In general, the poor-rate was paid by the tenant of a property rather than its owner.

Failure to pay the poor-rate would result in a summons to appear before a Justices of the Peace who could impose a fine or the seizure of property, or even prison.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/

You can also read about "The Poor Rate Assessment and Collection Act, 1869" at  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0yqm/ 
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Rate 1879
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Stan
Thank you for your reply. Can I therefore assume that in 1879 James was a tenant farmer in Prittlewell but wonder why the money was due to Eastwood which I thought was a different parish?

There was a table in the link for  the tax to be 1 shilling in the pound (on the rateable value I assume and if my maths are ok) a debt of £3 may indicate a rateable value of £60 which I do not suppose was a sizable holding.