Author Topic: Emmanuel Hutchinson of Leck - origins?  (Read 3633 times)

Offline Evertonian2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emmanuel Hutchinson of Leck - origins?
« on: Thursday 03 April 14 15:53 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me where my ggggrandfather Emmanuel Theobald Hutchinson was born or baptised (around 1795 I think).  Married Mary Ellershaw at Tunstall in 1822, and lived all his life in Leck.  In all the censuses and gave his birthplace as Leck. Died in 1879.  In 1841 census I think he said that he was not born in Lancashire - perhaps Westmorland?  The only possibilities I have found on IGI are a) Emmanuel Hutchison (no n) 1802 in Renfrew (but the family names don't match) or b) a reference to a birth of the right date in Barbados.  Is this possible?  Can anyone help?  I would be most grateful for any help given.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emmanuel Hutchinson of Leck - origins?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 April 14 18:43 BST (UK) »
I cannot find a birth on line for Emmanuel and the whereabouts of records for Leck pre 1800 are not exactly clear. I did come across the following baptism at Manchester Cathedral on 12 Jun 1796, parents James Hutchinson & Betty but no Christian name for the child. However it looks from other possible baptisms, which may link to them, they may have moved around the county

I did find his death/burial record but the date differs to yours?

Emmanuel Hutchinson Death was registered Jul 1872  - Lunesdale, Lancashire

Emmanuel Hutchinson Age: 76 (1796) Burial Date: 9 Aug 1872 Leck, Lancashire

I also found the Barbados connection, the first entry 1817 the last 1834.
Slave Registers of former British Colonial Dependencies, 1812-1834 on Ancestry.
These show records of slave births, an Emanuel John Cock Hutchinson is noted as a slave owner.

Regards
Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 April 14 19:49 BST (UK) »
Marriage: 21 Sep 1822 St John the Baptist, Tunstall, Lancashire, England
Emanuel Theobalds Hutchinson - (X), this Parish
Mary Ellershaw - (X), this Parish
Witness: Robert Parker Wilson; Thomas Clarkson
Married by Banns by: William Carus Wilson, Vicar

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 April 14 19:55 BST (UK) »
Manny Hutchinson
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

christening: 10 August 1794 Farlam, Cumberland, England
residence:  Farlam, Cumberland, England

father: Robert Hutchinson
mother: Jane Bell

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 April 14 20:17 BST (UK) »
There is a christening for
Emanuel Theobalds Hutchinson on Ancestry.
I don't have the right subscription to view it.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 April 14 20:38 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism  on familysearch for Emmanuel Theobalds Wilkinson born to Mary Wilkinson  13 September 1794 at Kirkby Lonsdale, Westmorland.

As this is a transcription, it might be worth having a look at the original (the registers are held at Kendal Records Office), in case it is actually a hard to read Hutchinson.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Evertonian2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 April 14 20:13 BST (UK) »
I am most grateful to all of you who have given me ideas - I am a newcomer to the site and am overwhelmed how helpful everyone is.  Manny Hutchinson is described in the transcript as female, so that may not be relevant.  It seems to me that the Wilkinson reference is the most likely, since the occurrence of the two unusual Christian names so close to Leck is too great a coincidence.  I will try to have a look at the Kirkby Lonsdale registers to check.  I suppose it is also possible that Mary Wilkinson subsequently married a Hutchinson, and little Emmanuel was 'adopted' by her husband.  So far I have not tracked down a Mary Wilkinson/Hutchinson marriage between 1794 and 1810.  What do you think?

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 April 14 21:42 BST (UK) »
I did wonder whether Emanuel's mother might have later married a Hutchinson, but can't see anything likely on familysearch. It is certainly a possibility.

There is a possible candidate for Emanuel's father.  Emanuel Theobald/s, an agricultural labourer of Strickland Roger, near Kendal.  Ancestry has transcribed his age in the 1841 census as 40, but I think 60 is what is actually written, and he was probably a little older, as ages were usually rounded down in that census. He died in 1847.

Emanuel Theobald married Ann Martindale at Bolton-le-Sands in 1803. (It's on the Ancestry and the Lancs OPC site). Unusually for the time, their ages are recorded. Emanuel was 30.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Evertonian2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 April 14 19:03 BST (UK) »
On Tuesday I checked the transcripts and registers of Kirkby Lonsdale at Kendal record office.  To my surprise I could find no record of Emmanuel Theobalds Wilkinson in 1793, 1794 or 1795.  I was taken by surprise, because I assumed that a reference in Familysearch which was so detailed should link to a record.  In my experience, a tentative or putative birth usually has given the date as "about 1794".  why would anyone "invent" a person with such detail who doesn't exist?  What is the next step in investigating this reference, since I am certain that if it exists it has relevance to my Emmanuel?  Has anyone got any ideas?