Author Topic: The new FindMyPast (Part 4)  (Read 29714 times)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: The new FindMyPast (Part 4)
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 16:55 BST (UK) »
I contacted them about the new census transcription; if I want to print the whole family it's two pages.  Their response:

We agree that the old view of household transcriptions  made a lovely one page print out.
As you know, we are now printing out the entire transcription, plus details of the family, which can go across several pages.

We are listening to customer feedback and our technical team are looking at ways of improving this print experience with the enhanced data. We do not know however how long this will take.

We  are confident that we will find a better way so please bear with us.

Kind Regards,

I'm halfway through compiling a family history file for my son-in-law......so I can stop now, print several sheets instead of just 1 per family or wait.........but for how long?   ::)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hmm!  Just tried that but all I get is a black screen, with heading: England & Wales births 1937-2006 (centre top of screen) - and below that it says: View full page transcription (which, of course takes me back to the transcription page!)
There are two tiny boxes top right and top left - one takes me back to transcription, the other goes back to the Results page.

FindMyPast have posted about this.   This is a "temporary" problem with a work around of only using Google Chrome to access their site.   I received this advice from them when I complained about their dreadful upgrade.   They completely ignored my comment regarding the lack of design and testing that had been undertaken - how anyone can launch a web site that only works fully with a single browser is beyond me.   I'd love to know how long temporary is !!

Like others I have cancelled my auto subscription and am not inclined to install yet another browser when I already have two.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 14:56 BST (UK) »
- not as clear as it was on the old site.  ;D ;D

this could be a new slogan for them ;) :)

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 15:01 BST (UK) »
I contacted them about the new census transcription; if I want to print the whole family it's two pages.  Their response:

We agree that the old view of household transcriptions  made a lovely one page print out.
As you know, we are now printing out the entire transcription, plus details of the family, which can go across several pages.

We are listening to customer feedback and our technical team are looking at ways of improving this print experience with the enhanced data. We do not know however how long this will take.

We  are confident that we will find a better way so please bear with us.

Kind Regards,

I'm halfway through compiling a family history file for my son-in-law......so I can stop now, print several sheets instead of just 1 per family or wait.........but for how long?   ::)

Funny, I got that same response!  It makes me think they don't know what the old transcription/printable version looked like.

They seem unable and unwilling to acknowledge that they've muddled all the names up now, so the household isn't even in the 'correct' (as in on the census) order.
It seems to be alphabetical, the disruption to the household is most noticeable if you get a household with servants or people with different surnames - all over the place then, time consuming to copy it out into the correct order.  >:(

Lisa

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 15:03 BST (UK) »
- not as clear as it was on the old site.  ;D ;D

this could be a new slogan for them ;) :)

Slogan for the new site?   How about Lostmypast  :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 15:03 BST (UK) »
Is the address list for the 1911 census still there?

I couldn't find it today  :(

Lisa

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 15:06 BST (UK) »

Lisa

I wondered if it was just me, but no if you want to do an address search like the other census returns?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 16:05 BST (UK) »

Lisa

I wondered if it was just me, but no if you want to do an address search like the other census returns?

Keyboard86

thanks, no, I was hoping to get the enumerator's list that was available (along with a cover as 'free' pages) by clicking something at the top of the old display of the 1911 census entry.

Something else I haven't noticed (on any of the census pages) is 'report a transcription error'.
Has that gone too?

I used to report transcription errors in the past and now with hindsight would imagine that it was probably a bit of a pointless exercise once this 'new' site was being rolled out.

Lisa

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 17:59 BST (UK) »
I've been away for 8 days and was hoping things would have changed for the better by the time I got back - no such luck, so I'm using Ancestry now instead.  I also got an e-mail for a sub to British Newspapers at £9.95 (I think - I deleted it  ??? ) per month, rather than the original £30+/month.  I think that is a better bet if you want to search for ancestors.