Author Topic: Family of Patrick Barry  (Read 5221 times)

Offline John Osterhus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Family of Patrick Barry
« on: Tuesday 15 April 14 15:07 BST (UK) »
I've been seeking information on the parents of my great, great grandfather, John Barry.  In Ireland, John Barry married Johanna Harrington on 23 Feb. 1840.  Witnesses were Daniel Harrington (Johanna's older brother) and Patrick Barry.  The report identified  the Diocesan Area as Cork & Ross and the Parochial Area as Durris (Muintervara).   I know John and Johanna (I've found two spellings for her first name) had one child in Ireland who survived the trip to Canada.  Two children died aboard ship and were buried at sea.  I've been told that local parish records in Cork prior to 1820 have been destroyed so I cannot pursue more on Patrick.  My mother has a picture a Mary McCarthy (nee Glavin) who was married to Patrick Barry, apparently about 1800, BUT this was a second marriage for her, and maybe for him.  There, I've run into a brick wall.  My information is from a family Bible that goes back to 1810.  Any ideas?  I have found some possible death records on Ancestry that I can't authenticate.  What might I try now?
John Barry, 1810-1880, married Johanna(?) Harrington, 1815-1883, on 23 Feb. 1840
   Barony:         West Carbery
   Townland:      Ballycommane
   Civil Parish:      Durrus   
   Poor Law Union:   Bantry
   Diocesan Area:      Cork & Ross
   Parochial Area:     Durris (or Durrus/Kilcrohane) (Muintervara)
   Witness 1:  Daniel Harrington (older brother of Johanna)
   Witness 2:  Patrick Barry (father of John?)
Mary baptism:       3 Feb. 1841
   Sponsor 1:   John Harrington
   Sponsor 2:   Catherine Barry
Heteona  baptism:    22 Mar. 1843
   Sponsor 1:   James Barry
   Sponsor 2:   Mary Harrington
Patrick  baptism:    30 Oct. 1845
   Sponsor 1:   Timothy Harrington
   Sponsor 2:   Ellen  Barry

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Patrick Barry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hello John & welcome to Roots Chat.
Have you looked at www.irishgenealogy.ie has baptism/marriage records for the area of your ancestors but I am not sure of the  year they go back to.

www.nationalarchives.ie has Griffiths Valuation records & Tithe Applotment Books to view online
unfortunately they only give detail of Tenant & amount of land etc.

There are 2 baptisms on irish genealogy which may be your Joanna Harrington
1. Joanna Harrington Address Quolquollogh RC Parich Muintervara
10th June 1822. Parents Timothy Harrington & Judith Mahony
Sponsors: Florence Mahony/Honora Bohane
2. Joanna Harrington RC Parish Muintervara(Cork & Ross) 20th August 1823
Parents : Michael Harrington/Ellen McCarthy. Sponsors: Denis Harrington/Mary Harrington
 :)

Offline John Osterhus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 16:08 BST (UK) »
I have pursued more of the Barry line instead of the Harrington, but the marriage in 1840 would have made John 30 and Johanna about 20.  Apparently the families were neighbors.  I've tried seeking records of Patrick's first marriage using the sponsors of the baptisms and by cross-referencing "Mary Glavin" and the McCarthy surname in "Cork & Ross" without any luck.  Thanks for your effort.  It's one more link.  I hope to eventually find relatives still in Ireland before we make the trip.  Thanks.

Offline kevbar28

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 December 14 18:56 GMT (UK) »
John,

I just ran across your post. My great great grandparents are also John Barry and Johanna Harrington. My father was Michael Anthony Barry, John's grandson.

If you go to IrishGenealogy.ie and search in church records for John Barry with the additional name Judith Harrington you get the baptism of a John Barry of Killun, on 26 Dec 1821, Muintervera parish, parents: John Barry and Judith Harrington, sponsors: David Barry and Joanna Harrington. The baptism date is a bit late for our great great grandfather--my research gives his birthdate anywhere from 1810 to 1818. However, baptisms often occurred some time after birth. I could not locate Killun on a search of Cork maps.

Interestingly, the search for John Barry with the additional name of Judith Harrington turns up John's brother, Patrick Barry, baptized 28 Mar 1823, same parents, same parish with sponsors: Nicholas Brien and Catherine Harrington. Would this Patrick be the one you're hunting? I wonder if he might be one of the witnesses at our great great grandparents wedding? The Patrick Barry who married Mary Glavin is probably not this Patrick. Mary's daughter, Bridget McCarthy, was born about 1815.

I'd guess that Heteona and Partrick, John and Johanna's second and third children, are the ones buried at sea. What do you think?

Offline John Osterhus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 December 14 22:06 GMT (UK) »
To Kevbar, your father, Michael Anthony Barry, was my grandfather's brother, younger by 10 years.  I went to Irishgengenealogu.ie, for the marriage certificate of John and Johanna and the three baptismal certificates of Mary, Heteona, and Patrick.  I wonder about the spelling of "Heteona," but that's another issue.  In the 1861 Census of Ontario, John and Johanna list their ages, I believe as 45 and 43, which would make their birth years as 1816 and 1819.  Concerning "Patrick":  as a witness to John and Johanna's wedding, I initially believed he might be an older sibling, but Irish naming patterns at the time (John named his first-born male Patrick) leads me to believe Patrick might has been his father, instead.  If, and I haven't proven this yet, this is true, Daniel Harrington, whom I thought might be Johanna's older sibling, might also be her parent.  Mary Glavin was identified by writing on a picture identifying her as Patrick's wife, but some words had been erased from that picture, and I'm not sure she belongs with Patrick.  I think it more likely she was Bridget McCarthy's mother.  I believe Heteona and Patrick were buried at sea, as family members told me.
In the meantime, I am chasing down John and Johanna's siblings (some came to Canada and actually lived across the road (almost literally) in Strathroy.  I'm trying to learn more through the siblings.  At the present time, Patrick and Daniel remain unproven as either siblings or parents.  From what I have found, the John Barry and Judith Harrington don't fit.  Barry and Harrington are Cork names and in the mid-1800s there were more Barry and Harrington families in Cork than in the rest of Ireland.  I think we've also found mention of a Judy Harrington Barry in Strathroy, but it is likely another generation.  I haven't pursued it because it's a little outside my interest.
I have been able to learn a lot from Canadian records, but Patrick and Daniel are still unknown qualtities.

If you find anything, let me know.  I'm hoping to go to Ireland next year, spend some time in Co. Cork, and maybe have a professional see what he/she can discover.  I have a couple friends in Cork City I plan to have a Guinness with as well.  Keep in touch.